Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Which Egr Delete Kit ???

2174 28
I am planning to order me a EGR delete kit today. Which kit do you guys reccomend and where can i get it? By the way my truck does have the ECM bootloader. I am not sure if this matters or not:confused013: Thanks
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
About the only option you have is to just unplug your EGR with out a tuner. The only tuner avalible for a bootloaded ECM is the edge juice w race. If you are interested the the edge give James @ rollinsmokediesel.com a call. I ordered my stuff yesterday.

Reactions: Rollin Smoke Diesel

· Registered
60 Posts
Sorry didn't read your sig. Still give James a call and he can hook you up with an egr delete for bout $50

Reactions: Rollin Smoke Diesel

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
it doesn't really matter about the bootloader for the EGR delete. You do however have to see whether or not you have a Late 09 versus an early 09 if you plan on doing a full EGR delete. The 09.5+ truck will have braided stainless lines about 3/4" in diameter leading to the EGR cooler and the early one won't.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you guys delete the egr and the cooler or just the egr?

· Registered
1,027 Posts
Would you guys delete the egr and the cooler or just the egr?
To get full benefit, you should just delete both, however, the cooler acts like a wastegate. So unless you are also planning to buy one of the wastegate kits, you run the chance of popping your head gasket. With a stock tune, I don't believe you need to worry but if you plan to run a tuner later, you could very well have problems with the head gasket.

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
The next person that says the EGR Cooler acts as a wastegate is going to get pistol whipped. :whip:

The EGR system as a WHOLE acts like a wastegate in stock form, you are at just as much of a danger blowing a head gasket with an EGR delete as will a EGR/Cooler delete.

· Retired Old Fart!
10,495 Posts
The next person that says the EGR Cooler acts as a wastegate is going to get pistol whipped. :whip:

The EGR system as a WHOLE acts like a wastegate in stock form, you are at just as much of a danger blowing a head gasket with an EGR delete as will a EGR/Cooler delete.
My EGR system unplugged acts as a wastegate 'cuz it can bleed thru the valve. :stirpot::hehe: :sofa:

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
exactly because your valve and cooler are still in place.

· Retired Old Fart!
10,495 Posts

· If you aint 1st..Ure LAST
2,276 Posts
wow.....a wastegate....really? . ....... just delete it all. u will like the way it looks and sounds and performes better. a hole kit aint but $125 for h&s but shibbys r the same thing. i made mine but since the price droped i buy them now.

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts

Sorry for the highjack, back to topic.

2,276 Posts
yep. do the full delete. its better for truck.

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
If I am running a Superchips and getting ready to do the DPF delete should I unplug EGR, do a EGR delete or EGR and Cooler Delete?

All 3 will give me a CEL correct?
Depends what your end goals are. If you are unplugging the EGR to keep soot out of the engine then you really aren't going 100% of the way by just unplugging it, but it is easy to go back to stock.

If you are going to do the EGR delete you might as well do the whole thing because all the cooler does once the valve is deleted is add radiant heating to under the hood and heat the coolant up more during the summer. (deleting it makes winter warm ups a bit longer but there are trade offs I guess.

All three choices will give you a check engine light. :thumbsup:

· Registered
680 Posts
Depends what your end goals are. If you are unplugging the EGR to keep soot out of the engine then you really aren't going 100% of the way by just unplugging it, but it is easy to go back to stock.

If you are going to do the EGR delete you might as well do the whole thing because all the cooler does once the valve is deleted is add radiant heating to under the hood and heat the coolant up more during the summer. (deleting it makes winter warm ups a bit longer but there are trade offs I guess.

All three choices will give you a check engine light. :thumbsup:
Thanks....

As far as sound of the truck and overall performace, is 1 better than the other?

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
0 EGR is good EGR so I'd vote for deleting the whole thing. There is no perceived performance difference between deleting just the valve or getting rid of the valve and the cooler (exhaust volume and tone change but that doesn't effect performance).

2,276 Posts
.5 hp....lol

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How much HP do you think is gained by just the dpf delete and the egr delete. I saw this somewhere and cant find it. My mechanic says 40 hp for the dpf delete??

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.