Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to be performing a transmission service on my 68rfe, I figure I might as well install a deep pan with a drain plug while I’m at it.

The Revmax pan is the one I was looking at, as well as the mag-hytec. Are there better ones you guys are having good luck with?

Or do I stay with the stock pan and weld a bung on it for a drain plug? I’m ok with that if the deep pan is not a worthwhile addition.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I’m going to be performing a transmission service on my 68rfe, I figure I might as well install a deep pan with a drain plug while I’m at it.

The Revmax pan is the one I was looking at, as well as the mag-hytec. Are there better ones you guys are having good luck with?

Or do I stay with the stock pan and weld a bung on it for a drain plug? I’m ok with that if the deep pan is not a worthwhile addition.
I did the Magtech on my 07. I'll do it on my 17 when the time comes.Worth it if only for the gasket.

·
Registered
13,395 Posts

I started out with just an added bolt-on drain plug on the stock pan, and that was okay but not great.

I finally went all in and got the mag-hytec pan and it is very nice, looks pretty tough under there and sort of matches the finned AAM rear cover I put on my truck.

The aluminum pans are kind of tough to maneuver on and off the trans due to the spin-on internal filter hanging down, that and the cooler lines make clearance very tight.

And, the mag-hytec has it's drain plug on the bottom, so when you pull it to drain the fluid, it gushes out super fast.

All in all, I would make the same choice if I had it to do over again, the mag-hytec is a high quality casting and is machined and painted super well.

·
Registered
161 Posts
When I did my first and only (so far) filter/fluid service on my 2014 68rfe, I installed a PML pan and used a lube locker gasket. No issues and its been leak free.

·
Joe @ Dude’s Diesel Performance
1,180 Posts

Mag-Hytech and RevMax both make nice pans. Mag-Hytech holds 3 quarts over stock and the RevMax holds 4 quarts over stock. Mag-Hytech will be a little easier on the wallet as well.

·
On call 24/7
12,332 Posts
Goerend makes a nice pan. I always thought the derale pan with the tubes was kinda cool too but not sure they make one for 68.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I do like the Mag pans but if it goes 60K with the factory pan it can go another 60K with it. Not sure it helps with cooling at all.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mag-Hytech and RevMax both make nice pans. Mag-Hytech holds 3 quarts over stock and the RevMax holds 4 quarts over stock. Mag-Hytech will be a little easier on the wallet as well.
Not sure on the 68RFE, but on my 48RE mag-Hytec had two size sumps. a +1.5QT and a +3.5QT (as I recall.) I opted for the 1.5QT for clearance.

Pan had been great though the hex head bolts are a PITA sometimes. I thought about replacing them with torx, but will be selling soon so I'm not going to bother.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Not sure on the 68RFE, but on my 48RE mag-Hytec had two size sumps. a +1.5QT and a +3.5QT (as I recall.) I opted for the 1.5QT for clearance.

Pan had been great though the hex head bolts are a PITA sometimes. I thought about replacing them with torx, but will be selling soon so I'm not going to bother.
I'll take an allen head over a torx every time.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
When I did my first and only (so far) filter/fluid service on my 2014 68rfe, I installed a PML pan and used a lube locker gasket. No issues and its been leak free.
I did the PML raw casting and sprayed it black with some engine paint I had in the garage. I used NAPA filters with their gasket...no leaks.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
If purchasing a Maghytec Deep Pan what would be needed in addition to that. Also what would be a good gasket to use. 2018 68rfe.

·
Registered
13,395 Posts
If purchasing a Maghytec Deep Pan what would be needed in addition to that. Also what would be a good gasket to use. 2018 68rfe.
I used the lube locker gasket on mine, self sealing and supposed to be reusable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts