Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Which darn Ram to get 1500 or 2500

4K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  AZ490 
#1 ·
Decisions, Decisions.

I wanted an Ecodiesel from the minute I heard they were close to coming out. I wanted to run my Avalanche to 200k first, which I now have. The timing was perfect as I also wanted to let them get the first model year out of the way.

So I test drove an ED and I was impressed with the ride and how quiet it was. Then I saw on the forums that there are still all sorts of issues (oil in coolant, non starting, cold weather cylinder lock, etc, CELs, DEF injection problems) - and I was a little nervous. After looking back and forth, I decided that I was still prepared to move forward.

Then.....I noticed the payload. I was looking at a Limited and even though the payload is listed in the Ram catalog as 1240 lbs - the truck is just at 1000 lbs.

I dont think thats enough.

My use:

I will do about 25k per year of work travel (highway miles, with SOME city miles but not much).
About 26 times per year, I will have between 1k and 2k in the bed. A few times per year I will tow a trailer. These 26 times a year - I am driving 125 miles round trip to the shore with a truck full of Scuba and fishing gear.

So - I started to realize that the increased weight of the ED kills the payload and I test drove a hemi. The Hemi was a monster and I could not believe how fast it is. A little louder than the ED, but still quiet enough in the cabin.

I check the payload and its about 1250 lbs. Better, but still not as much as the 1350 on my avalanche. Ive pushed the avalanche to 1700 lbs probably 100 times without an issue but I dont know about the Ram.

Next step - I looked at all the other trucks. Quickly decided that I like the LOOKS and the RIDE of the Ram much better then anything else so I ended up back at Ram.

THEN....one of my friends says - "your a diesel guy....if your looking at a Ram, why not buy the cummins"

So I drove a 2500 with the Cummins in the Limited edition.

Now for my questions. Seemed like a nice ride - but clearly not as smooth as a 1500. Would I want to kill myself after a few years of 25k per year on the highway with a 2500? Would anyone else buy a 2500 knowing that most of the time you are driving around with an empty bed - then 25 weekends loading the bed up with a lot of weight?

I really like the cool factor of the Cummins. I know that sounds stupid - but its true.

What is the fuel mileage of the Cummins on the highway? (not really a factor, but Im just wondering)?

What is the height of the top of the cab on the Cummins?

Cabin actually seemed quiet enough to hold a cell phone call without anyone realizing that you are in a truck.....or was I imagining in. I have 2 friends (that drive the same situation I am in) with 3/4 ton trucks from Gm and Ford and their trucks are older and obnoxiously loud. I hate being in them but they have theirs worked and oud on purpose. The Ram seems more refined.

Lastly - Im not interested in the Hemi in the 2500. If I go Hemi I will go 1500. If I go 2500, its a chance to grab the cummins.

Am I stupid for even considering the 2500 Cummins for my use?

See less See more
#2 ·
Now for my questions. Seemed like a nice ride - but clearly not as smooth as a 1500. Would I want to kill myself after a few years of 25k per year on the highway with a 2500? Would anyone else buy a 2500 knowing that most of the time you are driving around with an empty bed - then 25 weekends loading the bed up with a lot of weight?

What is the fuel mileage of the Cummins on the highway? (not really a factor, but Im just wondering)?

Am I stupid for even considering the 2500 Cummins for my use?
Stupid? Not at all..... while mine's not quite a grocery getter, it's not been towing heavy.... yet.

I plan to keep my truck at least 5 years. Next year we are planning on getting a toy hauler, so I bought the Cummins with that in mind, over a year ago..

So far, except for some construction debris dump runs, a couple loads of gravel (at or slightly above my payload limit) and several lumber runs.... I've been running unloaded...

This includes a 110 mi round trip to the beach a couple times a month on SoCal freeways....

I love this truck..! I only have the tradesman, but find it quite comfortable. It's not a luxury car, but certainly not uncomfortable. I think I've been on two small, bumpy stretches of road where I realized I was in a 3/4 ton truck....

We took an 1100 mile road trip and opted for the truck over my wife's car... :shock:

My Fuelie sig shows I'm at 17mpg average for my use... not bad for a big truck.

You could probably get by with the eco diesel, but the only advantage would be MPG... if that's not a priority, get the cummins..

Just my $0.02.....

Good luck!

#3 ·
I think my truck rides great. No complaints. As far as mileage, realistically you should be able to pull 18-19 empty on the HW. Some claim to get better, some worse. It all depends on terrain and MPH.

As far as payload, will 2k pounds in the back of a 1500 kill it, probably not. Could it prematurely wear things out? Absolutely. Will 2k pounds in the back of a 2500 kill it? Nope. Will it prematurely wear things out? I say no. And it will ride like a Cadillac when it is loaded.

Do you need a 2500? To me, it's better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. Just my 2 cents.

#4 ·
How strictly do people actually take the payload on the 1500 tho? i've never considered payload in any of my vehicles until i started on the 1500 vs 2500 debate myself. But it just doesn't make sense, according the the published numbers, a Honda accord can carry more then a loaded 1500. I just find it hard to believe its not more capable. I know over loading a vehicle is at your own risk, but is it really going to cause that much wear/damage?

fwiw, i haven't purchased yet, but i have settled on a 2500... but threads like this get me thinking again

#6 ·
I know. But they are ugly as crap. The trade on my Avalanche at a locak dealer is to good to ber true and if I put another 15k on this thing, Im at the point where the value will plummet.

I own it and it actually still has some value as it approaches 200k. I know Im about to throw some money at it for my May inspection and I dont want to put a dime into it.

The timing on the Nissan is a little late.

#7 ·
I have 11k miles on my 1500 eco diesel right now, ZERO complaints /issues. Haven't really hauled much with it yet, but mine does have the air ride suspension, and rides smooth as glass. I've averaged 24-25 mpg with about a 70/30% mix of highway/town driving. Looking at the rating, I don't think being over by 400-500lbs. is going to hurt anything. I absolutely love the truck, all the comfort / conveniences of a Chyrsler 300, with the versatility of a pick-up

#9 ·
I believe in getting the next step up in a truck than you think you will need. Tomorrow I drive to San Diego to pick up a 19,100 lb 5ver. I could never have even considered it without already having my current truck. Keep your future options open! Get at least the 2500. Maybe even the 3500. Don't lock yourself in.

#10 ·
I looked at the Eco real hard and wanted one for my third diesel, but spending the time to look closer I needed more than a 1/2 ton.

Plus no long bed crew cab to me that's just un-American. And the reason why, very few buyers of the Eco really use them as a HD-pickup, so I walked away from them.
Their weight carrying capabilities was wimpy for my needs.

Bought a new CTD and never looked back.....

#12 ·
former EcoD owner here ('14 CC, Laramie w/air suspension). don't be too concerned about the "issues" - by far, far FAR most of the EcoD's have been amazing. you are spot on about their ride quality - i don't know if you drove the air suspension model or not, it is amazing how comfortable that truck is.

the real issue is, everything about the EcoD is focused towards efficiency (MPG). yes, it has a ridiculously low payload...that said, the air supsension has been proven to still self-level up to 2k lbs. does that mean you should ignore the payload rating? no, but you should also not think the truck is going to fall apart if you exceed 1100lbs.

i decided however, that for towing, the CTD 2500 was a better choice for me. for example, the exhaust brake on the CTD seemed almost enough for me to make a change - and i don't have a heavy trailer (Lance 2285, about 6klbs loaded). the 1500 only has 5 lug wheels. maybe stupid little things to many, but to me i decided, as others have said - would rather have more truck and never need it than not quite enough, or be at the maximum of the truck.

i have a '14 2500 CC big horn. it is a totally different animal from the 1500. it took me about 3k miles before i stopped missing the ride of the 1500. i know really REALLY like my 2500. i think all things you've stated, if you are not concerned about MPG's then the 2500 is maybe the way to go. you can get a really nicely equipped 2500 Laramie with all the create comforts and pay less than the 1500 EcoD.

let us know what you decide :)

#13 ·
Sounds like from your responses you're already leaning towards the 2500. Sure they ride a little rougher than a 1500 but still not a bad ride and you've got room to grow with more gear, trailers etc.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Got my Tradesman 2500 CTD in November and I love it! I traded my 2007 1500 Hemi in. I miss the speed and response of the Hemi, but I DO NOT MISS the 1500. I've only put 7k miles on it so far, but 4k of those were highway pulling 10k trailer. The truck hardly knows its there...other than the DEF burning much quicker. Also, don't even let the DEF be a factor. If you're not pulling heavy, you can get thousands of miles per tank. As far as economy...I just drove from Reno to Vegas and back and got 21.2 mpg (according to the onboard CPU). Love the truck and not looking back...except at the heavy loads I can now haul.

#15 ·
I was in the same boat as you. I wound up going for the Cummins. I felt like I got a lot more truck for the money, and even though I run empty most of the time, I hauled trailers and loads with my old tahoe that would have been probably a little above the capacity of the EcoD. Could it have handled it? Probably. But with the 2500 and my uses, I don't have to worry about payload or towing capacity. I can just load up and go. Also, the cummins does have some cool factor/good reputation to it that the ecod just doesn't have.

My best fuel mileage was about 25MPG on about a 75 mile round trip. I had the cruise set on 55 for most of the way, with a stretch of 45mpg. Typically though, I get around 17-18 average per tank and about 19-20 on the highway. Of course, terrain and speed are going to play a role there as well. The cold weather and extended idle times have me down to about 16 or so average right now, but that's still better than my tahoe, and it is what it is. I'm interested to see what I'll get with summer fuel.

#17 ·
You hit the nail on the head. Truck for the money.

If the 2500 is reaonably comfortable and quiet - its a heck of a lot more truck for NOT that much more money.

What is the overall height difference of the 1500 and the 2500? In other words, Im trying to figure out my parking situation in certain garages. Currently Im about 6'4" and most places that I am limited, I have alternate parking places. Im sure both the 1500 and 2500 are taller, but I havent been able to figure out exact heights.

#16 ·
The GMC 1500 with 6.2L and 8-speed looks like a winning combo.

Ram 1500 payload is truly wimpy, but an otherwise great truck. But I would not consider that VM 3.0 at all right now. They have some bugs that need to be worked out by Ram.

#18 ·
I will start this off stating that I am a Cummins guy. Have owned an 05, 07, 11and a 13 Cummins, all fantastic trucks. I am currently driving a 2014 Ram Longhorn ecodiesel. The reason I traded out, was I no longer tow anything. Horses all gone, car trailers sold, collector cars sold. Just didn't seem to make a lot of sense driving around all by myself in a 4x4 Mega Cab all day. Don't get me wrong, the 13 was the best Cummins I have owned to date. However, riding around all by myself getting 13.5 mpg in town and 20 mpg highway just didn't make sense.
Drove the ecodiesel and loved it! The ride quality is light years ahead of the 2500, the brakes are like a sports car, the steering is like a sports car and the air suspension is beyond fantastic! The thing I am happiest about, 22 mpg in town all the time and 31 mpg highway, all hand calculated! I have 8400 trouble free miles on it and have never regretted trading out.

#24 ·
If I was driving mostly highway miles and loading up the bed with 1000 lb every other weekend, I would go with the 2500 with the CTD. I wouldn't consider anything else. Sure, the ride is rougher than a 1500 but it fits your needs, you sit up higher, the parts are heavier duty, and you'll have the cool factor of the CTD.

#25 ·
The Ecodiesel is good if you want to load the bed up with bubble wrap and balsa wood. If you want to haul anything of substance, it's the wrong truck. For unloaded highway use where fuel economy is the goal, it's a great truck. But for the price, I'd rather drive a Cummins, fuel economy be damned.

#26 ·
Disclaimer- I know nothing about the air ride suspension on the 1500

That said if you got the 1500 with the regular suspension and put some firestone air bags in it you should be able to load it heavier without a problem after you air them up. As for the payload rating... Think of how many 1990s f150s you see with the bed completely full up past the roof just full of crap. Or the lawn car 1/2 ton trucks that are loaded way past their ratings. They always seem to be doing just fine. And like you said, if a minivan or camry can handle more weight I highly doubt the truck would have a problem.

My vote would be for the 1500 with airbags under the back if you don't plan on towing heavy.

#27 ·
I think it all boils down to whether or not you want a real "truck" for your new rig. For the last 200,000 miles your Avalanche serve you well (from what I can tell) and I f your Avalanche is a 1500 no doubt a new RAM 1500 will suffice; if you have a 2500 Avy, then a new RAM 2500 is in order.

Here is my input which is not dependent on your engine choices. My previous truck was a RAM CCSB 1500 Sport with the 5.7 HEMI. I went to a 2500 CCSB with the 6.4 HEMI. The ride is NOTABLY stiffer and that is taking some time to get used to coming from a 1/2 ton. (In my opinion it would not be acceptable for a mostly empty bed daily driver.) I have a 2.5" leveling kit on my truck but even without that the 2500 is way taller than the 1500. I have 8' tall garage doors and it would not fit inside without them.

Truth be told the 2500 is more truck than I need but I wanted something different than my 1500. With that said I LOVE having a big HD truck. It tows my 7500 lb boat significantly better than my 1500 did. The Laramie trim amenities are second to none. The RAM styling is easily the best of the big three. If your a diesel guy hard to go wrong with a Cummins or EcoDiesel.

#30 ·
I have had 1/2 ton trucks for years more then once I really needed a 3/4 ton truck to tow with. I have always wanted a diesel powered pickup after looking at the price of the eco-diesel options it seemed to me it wasn't that much difference to get a 2500 which I consider to have much better engine the Cummins. I just got back from a trip to Colorado from Arizona and I got about 18.6 mpg not towing anything city we get about 15.4 short 5-6 mile run to work and back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.