Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to get a rattle sound when I push the clutch on my truck and I've been told that it is probably a throw out bearing going bad. I figure if I'm going to replace the bearing I might as well do the clutch too.

It seems either southbend or valair are the way to go. When I look at their list of clutches it seems like you have to choose between a towing clutch or a racing clutch. I don't really do either, I tow a 2000-3000 pound trailer a dozen or so times a year and a 16' fishing boat. I don't race but I do on occasion like to do a little spirited driving.

So, what clutch would you guys recommend for me? I have egr/dpf delete, turbo back exhaust, cai and smarty tuner. I've been keeping my smarty level at 5 and torque management at 1 to preserve the clutch, I'd like to get a replacement clutch that I could crank that up a bit and not have to worry.

Also, do the kits they sell come with everything I need or is there anything else I need to buy?

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
The southbend 3250 will suite your needs for both those applications. It really depends on HP goals, IIR it is rated for 650hp and can be bought in a 12 button or 6 button. I would call peter at southbend and talk to him.

I never had a valair but have heard good things about them. Might be worth talking to them as well. I was going to run a valair triple in my '12 till I sold it.

·
Chatroom Mom
395 Posts
Hands down i will only buy Valair! I have the DD in mine, I haul horse trailers and such, my husband hauls his bass boat, and its one of the nicest clutches to shift! I will say when it came to buying mine, the customer service that Dan (owner of Valair) provided was stellar! He himself talked to me to make sure i got what i needed! He stands behind his clutches, and would HIGHLY reccommend him!

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Check out Kennys pulling parts great guy stands behind his products very well . Makes quality products machines stuff for himself and valair as well. So you get some of the same stuff as valair but cheaper . Hettook really good care of me .

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
I've got the SBC OHDK single. I runSmarty on #5 default,34" tires,and 2000# on my back always. Smooth operation and zero slip.
For my application,Peter recommended this clutch.
Talk to SBC or Valair about your application.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm leaning towards the valair dd at this point. Should I go with organic or ceramic? This is my first vehicle I've owned with a manual transmission and don't know too much about clutches.

·
Registered
45 Posts
With the rattling sound good chance it could be the dual mass fly wheel failing. From past experience. Went with the dd Valair, happy so far

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.