Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been covered quite a few times already. I'm looking to purchase a cai and it seems to me most people are going with either the s&b or afe stage 2. As far as the s&b it seems like everyone that talks about it says its cheap and a good product for the money, i'm just wondering how it compares to the afe stage 2. Also which afe stage 2 cai is everyone referring to because when i research them i find the stage 2 type si, stage 2 type xp, and the mega cannon 2. thanks for any help on this.

·
Pushing Dirt In Nebraska
57 Posts
I have had both, I like the S&B better. I have a 09 Dodge and the Afe was such a poor fit I had to make alterations and the air sensors didnt fit properly plus the screw threads were messed up. I was so mad when I got done that I threw the Afe in the garbage.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I started out with a s&b and it was ok...it flowed better than stock, but the filter got dirty in about 6K miles because it is so small. I switched to an afe stage II sealed box intake and haven't looked back. I didn't have any problems with fitment, dropped in like it was a factory piece. I have 17xxx miles on this setup and just cleaned the filter last weekend for the first time.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Ive got the S&B, bought a spare filter so I always have a clean one, change it every other oil change, best CAI for the money IMO

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses, they have def helped out.
Diesel 6.7 since you have had both the s&b and the afe did you notice any difference in power or sound, i'm guessing prob not much difference as far as power goes.
LRCanon with the afe sealed box do you get much more turbo whistle over stock. I'm looking to just get something more free flowing over stock but would like to get something that gives more turbo whistle as well.
again thanks everyone for the responses.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have AFE Pro Guard 7 Stage 2 SI CAI, I love it, MPG jumped right away...

·
Pushing Dirt In Nebraska
57 Posts
The AFE performed well, but my truck was a new 09 and the box didnt fit without alterations, I had the AFE enclosed stage II and I also did not like not being able to see the filter because the top is completely enclosed. The S&B has a clear plastic top that I can spot check the filter any time I want.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have the mega cannon and i love it. the turbo whistle is a lot louder over stock and mpg went up.

·
Registered
655 Posts
LRCanon with the afe sealed box do you get much more turbo whistle over stock.
can't remember, I ran the s&b for a couple of months and had the stage II on the truck before I ever got rid of the s&b so it had been a while since the stock intake was on there....so dunno really

·
Unreconstructed
6,478 Posts
I have an AFE Mega-Cannon II and I love it! Definitely can hear that turbo whining like it should.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I run the S&B and really like it. At least I can hear the turbo now but I wish it were a little louder. After I installed it the wife told me I had a "whine coming from somewhere behind the glovebox".

·
Unreconstructed
6,478 Posts
I run the S&B and really like it. At least I can hear the turbo now but I wish it were a little louder. After I installed it the wife told me I had a "whine coming from somewhere behind the glovebox".
Did you tell her it was just the hampster in his wheel that makes the truck go faster? :shock:

:hehe::hehe::hehe:

If you want louder, I've heard alot of the air intakes out there...and honestly I believe the AFE Mega-Cannon is the loudest, as far as air-sucking in, and turbo-whine... :headbang:

S&B makes a good quality product, and they were second on my list for purchasing, but I ran into some extra cash-flow, so I decided why not go with AFE? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Before I could recover from laughing the 12 year old in the back seat said "Mom, thats the turbo!"

·
700hp Club
2,196 Posts
I like the Megga cannon, i have them in both my trucks and have no complaints or issues. i don't run on gravel roads much any more so i went with the non sealed box, it's easier to get the filter out for cleaning, and i don't know if it was a promotion or not but when i ordered my megga cannon for the 6.7, it came with a Prydry 7, so when the cannon gets dirty i can stick the dry filter in until i get around to cleaning it.
:thumbsup:

·
Unreconstructed
6,478 Posts
Before I could recover from laughing the 12 year old in the back seat said "Mom, thats the turbo!"
Nice! :hehe::hehe::hehe:

Learnin 'em early in life is the best way. When I was little my dad taught me how to work on trucks and hot-rods...And it's something that's stuck with me ever since.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yeah 4Neatr, mine came with the pro dry and the pro guard filters too....I seem to remember that being offered when I ordered mine too so I got both. I do the same thing, run the pro guard 7, when it's being cleaned the pro dry goes in for a day or two.

·
Silver Bullet
253 Posts
I got the S&B and by far love it. It is plenty loud enough for me. Very easy to install too. The only reason that i found why it gets dirty so fast is because it is very easy to over oil. So the oil soacks onto the outer wear and then all the dust attractas to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts