Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the PSM cold air intake mod with stock box and a DPP cool hose. Which non paper filter can i drop in the stock box for better flow? and is the any way i can put a cone filter in there? thanks ahead of time!!

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have an airaid intake..all you have to do is take the top of your air box off and replace the tube

·
Registered
2006 2500 4x4, spinny wooshy thing, bigger sticks, toothpick trans, wallet weight reduction mod.
2,554 Posts
It wont matter. Minimal difference from stock and you won't even feel the difference. Just leave it stock. Mine would be but the previous owner is apparently 1 step away from being a ricer and bought a new intake for a truck that was nearly stock at the time.

·
Registered
11,231 Posts
Genos sells the Airraid oiled drop in for $53.94. AFE offers an oiled stock drop in also. My NAPA 9946 double deep stocker is super dirty after maybe 5,000K easy miles. I'll probably drop the AFE PG7 back in.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Genos sells the Airraid oiled drop in for $53.94. AFE offers an oiled stock drop in also. My NAPA 9946 double deep stocker is super dirty after maybe 5,000K easy miles. I'll probably drop the AFE PG7 back in.
I have 12,000 on my current 9946 and the filter minder has not moved. The 9946 has a huge dirt holding capability. Your filter looks dirty because it stops alot of dirt and should easily last 15,000.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello,

Absolutely cannot go wrong with the NAPA 9946. Best there is. Look at the dirt holding capacity of all the units. Clear winner.

Damon

·
Gone Fishin'
566 Posts
:agree2: WIX are great filters!

Reactions: timmer40

·
Gone Fishin'
566 Posts
you can test the filter minder by getting a peice of thin metal or wood and with the engine static and slowley restrict the air flow entering the air box. then you should see the gauge start to move. and the filter might look extremely dirty but could still have a ton of life left!

·
Registered
62 Posts
so cover the airbox inlet with motor just idling to see if gauge moves? ive never had to reset the minder when replacing filter always has read good even when the filter is black as coal.sometimes the overhead will tell me its dirty.thanks for the tip will try it out

·
Gone Fishin'
566 Posts
yup. its how they test them on the heavy duty applications so same thing.....almost

·
Registered
11,231 Posts
I have 12,000 on my current 9946 and the filter minder has not moved. The 9946 has a huge dirt holding capability. Your filter looks dirty because it stops alot of dirt and should easily last 15,000.
My Filterminder hasn't moved with any filter since I installed the psm mod. The 9946 does have a ways to go. On vacation last year my truck started smoking up a storm. It was a clogged AFE and the Filterminder still didn't move. The only signs of life that thing has shown was brand new w/stock filter. Added the psm mod and no more movement so far. I pop it open every 5,000K and inspect it.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I run the new mopar heavy duty 4 pleat air filter, I beleive wix makes its. It has the best dirt holding capacity and filtration ratings out there. It costs about $30 and I get 15-20k out of them. After 10k on my oil analysis I had 3ppm silicon... which is damn good.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cool, how much is the NAPA 9946??? and can you get then anywhere besides napa?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
At any major parts store.............

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
all the oiled high flow filters flow better because they filter less,and only out flow the stock paper filters above 27-2800rpm. what percentage of your overall running time do you operate at that rpm level and do you want the extra grit they allow to pass thru going into your motor at 2800 rpm ????

·
Registered
11,231 Posts
all the oiled high flow filters flow better because they filter less,and only out flow the stock paper filters above 27-2800rpm. what percentage of your overall running time do you operate at that rpm level and do you want the extra grit they allow to pass thru going into your motor at 2800 rpm ????
The highest silica reading I've have experienced with 25,000K and my AFE PG7 drop in has been 5 ppm(overwhelmingly urban driving). My 9946 has been in for 6K and @ 6.5K,I'll change the oil and submit it for analysis soon.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello,

Absolutely cannot go wrong with the NAPA 9946. Best there is. Look at the dirt holding capacity of all the units. Clear winner.

Damon
Excuse my ignorance, but will the 9946 work in a '07 5.9?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts