Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the truck in my sig w/ ~ 12k miles. The oil was changed by the dealer at that time. I ran the truck 5k miles w/ no oil loss. Dealer changed the oil at 17k miles. I'm now ~ 4k miles into this oil change and the truck has "consumed" 1 qt of oil. There are no leaks or blue smoke. Where is the oil going? It just seems odd to me that the truck would all of a sudden use oil like this when it has 20k miles. I’m worried what to expect in the near future.
-Thx

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
How long was it after shutdown when you checked the oil?

Have to give at least 15 minutes for an accurate reading.

MikeyB

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
i wait overnight

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I check it in the mornings before I go to work.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
and you say no drops forming on the undercarriage?

·
Premium Member
15,501 Posts
I check it in the mornings before I go to work.
If you are checking it the same way every time and have been and there are no leaks/drips, time for a new turbo.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No drops on the undercarriage. The truck is dry as a bone. I check the oil under the same conditions every time.

Time for a new turbo? The funny thing is I was kind of thinking the same thing. Recently while driving on the freeway with the cruise on; I could feel the truck intermittently lose momentum. It wasn't a lot, but similar to the feeling of “letting out of the throttle”. When this would happen, the pitch of the turbo whistle would change. My question is; how do I present this to my dealer? I've approached dealers in the past w/ previous vehicles re: oil consumption and they all blew me off claiming it was within factory specs.

Yesterday I installed an Amsoil drop in. Will I have any warranty issues w/ it? Should I put the factory filter back in just to be safe?

·
Banned
393 Posts
Dont let them do that. Make them look at it. Also, if you have a Cummins dealer in your area, like a Mack truck dealership, go there. They handle working fellas differently. Dodge blew me off for about 2 months on an injector issue, took it to Mack, they put it in the shop while i signed in.

·
Banned
393 Posts
And as far as your mods...they usually dont make a fuss unless yougot crazy.

·
Premium Member
15,501 Posts
No drops on the undercarriage. The truck is dry as a bone. I check the oil under the same conditions every time.

Time for a new turbo? The funny thing is I was kind of thinking the same thing. Recently while driving on the freeway with the cruise on; I could feel the truck intermittently lose momentum. It wasn't a lot, but similar to the feeling of “letting out of the throttle”. When this would happen, the pitch of the turbo whistle would change. My question is; how do I present this to my dealer? I've approached dealers in the past w/ previous vehicles re: oil consumption and they all blew me off claiming it was within factory specs.

Yesterday I installed an Amsoil drop in. Will I have any warranty issues w/ it? Should I put the factory filter back in just to be safe?

Put the stock filter back in, take it back and complain about oil use, the surging, the different turbo noise. That should clue them in to where to start to look.

I am assuming you have warranty.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I can tell you first hand because I emailed Cummins directly that they do not consider oil consumption for warranty claims unless it exceeds 1 qt in 500 miles. However Cummins does not warranty our engines Dodge does. Cummins made that very clear in the same communication with me. BTW my truck goes about half way down the safe zone between oil changes. It has been doing that for some time now. It seems to go down quickly after an oil change and then stabilize. I check mine once a week when I fill up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts