Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 12 valve 5 speed, sometimes when I get in it and turn the key it acts like a dead battery but if I try it a second or third time it cranks right over and starts... The batteries have plenty power, Ive check the starter relay under the hood in the electrical box there, it is good, some times I wonder if its the clutch switch, the one where the clutch has to be down so the manual truck can start? Any one else have this problem and how did you fix it? Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
need new starter contacts :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

·
SC Chapter President
1,288 Posts
It's not that bad to do. The hardest part is getting the starter off. I think all together it took me about an hour.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
This is probably a stupid question, but have you taken off the battery cables and made sure the post and terminals are clean. It sounds to me like you have a grounding problem, since it clicks two or three times and then starts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The solenoid is attached to the starter

If the noise your hearing is sorta a "clunk" when ya turn the key, then it fires after a few it's almost definately gonna be the contacts.

Get yourself a 10mm 12pt socket
(they are 12pt bolts!) and a 10mm gear wrench and pull that sucker out. I forget what size the positive cable and ground wire are. But that's it 3 bolts and 2 nuts. Heck i can do it with my eyes closed now.

Get the larryB's upgraded contacts and put em in. Great upgrade!

·
Registered
368 Posts
the same thing happen to my truck , the starter was the original starter & being 11 years old , I just put in a new starter , it run $179 with a life time warranty :thumbsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts