Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got an 89 Dodge 3/4 ton 4X4. It runs good, drives like a Dodge, but got trans problems.
First off, it will not go into second gear. When you take off in drive, it goes from first to drive. It is like second was never there. Works just like a powr glide. If you try to manually put it into second, it goes into nothing. If you start in second, it goes through first, and stays there.
At first i looked at the cable and found it stuck. I think it has been that way for a long time. I disconnected the cable from the trans, but no different. I rode in the truck before it had this problem. When it would shift you would almost get whiplash, and had three gears. now you cant feel it shift, but if you accell hard, you can here it shift.
The trans is supposed to be fairly new, and the fluid is clean, and no bad smells. I keep thinking if it was a bad trans, it would be trying to go into second, but even under slow takeoffs, it is like it never had a second, until you try putting it into second.
I am not real familiar with dodge transmissions. I know it is supposed to be a three speed, but not sure what model. Is there any other transmissions that will go into it without major mods? Does a trans off of a gass engine fit?? Any info would be much appreciated!!!:confused013:

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
You have a 727 transmission.

You also have either a broken frt band, band anchor, band strut, int servo or int accumulater.

The harsh upshifts you felt previously were the result of the stuck/misadjusted throttle valve cable and that likely contributed to/caused the 2nd gear failure.

A gas trans won't work. Other trans that can be put in would be a 518 (an overdrive 727), or a 47rh (an overdrive 727 with a lock-up converter). Any of those would have to be from a cummins diesel and would require mods to work.

Steve g

Reactions: spacecase

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. I was also wondering, the truck goes about maybe 60MPH, with the pedal on the floor, down hill, with a good tail wind, on a good day. Is that normal for that truck, or could that be cause of the kick down cable being stuck?

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,269 Posts
A truck with 3:07 gear will top higher out at a higher MPH than your doing. Check to see if your getting full throttle. The TV cable could be binding and stopping it from going to full throttle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts