Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Whenever my truck was on the dyno you do nothing more than stand and watch. The dyno operator operates your truck.

But, in answer to part of your question the way they go about it is: run it up in speed gradually shifting to high gear (if auto letting it get to OD) then as they hit the dyno switch they hit the go pedal and after it peaks on the dyno screen they release the dyno switch as they reduce go pedal slowly coasting down.

At least that's what I've observed at the 4 - 5 dyno events I've been to.

· Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whenever my truck was on the dyno you do nothing more than stand and watch. The dyno operator operates your truck.

But, in answer to part of your question the way they go about it is: run it up in speed gradually shifting to high gear (if auto letting it get to OD) then as they hit the dyno switch they hit the go pedal and after it peaks on the dyno screen they release the dyno switch as they reduce go pedal slowly coasting down.

At least that's what I've observed at the 4 - 5 dyno events I've been to.
Yeah, thats what the normal dyno operator will do, but think about this, if you are on the street, you have more of a load on the truck than you would on the dyno, therefore it would spool faster on the street. At a dyno I went to at Garmons Diesel Performance, the normal dyno guy drove a truck in its first round and it made 495 HP, on its next run, Jeff Garmon drove the truck and loaded it up and it made 608 HP! :blues:

· Future Fly Boy!
2,227 Posts
with your setup, you arent gonna have to worry about loading it up yourself (holding the brakes)...the guys who hold their brakes are usually those who run big singles, and need to load to get their turbo spooled up...and chances are you WILL NOT be driving your truck on the rollers...just the way it is:confused013:

· Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
with your setup, you arent gonna have to worry about loading it up yourself (holding the brakes)...the guys who hold their brakes are usually those who run big singles, and need to load to get their turbo spooled up...and chances are you WILL NOT be driving your truck on the rollers...just the way it is:confused013:
Yeah I know that lol Im not dynoing my truck, I just wondered if the numbers everyone posts are loaded or unloaded... :S:

· Future Fly Boy!
2,227 Posts
you might be able to grab a little more power out of it, but without a large charger, your numbers should be pretty accurate assuming the dyno is set up correctly. im not very fond of dynos though...they are so hit or miss (operators run differently, varying dyno setups)...comparing numbers between two units is very difficult...numbers are nice, but in the end, how far you pull the sled or how fast you run down the track are true measures of how your truck is running...good luck, post up when you get some numbers:thumbsup:

· Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you might be able to grab a little more power out of it, but without a large charger, your numbers should be pretty accurate assuming the dyno is set up correctly. im not very fond of dynos though...they are so hit or miss (operators run differently, varying dyno setups)...comparing numbers between two units is very difficult...numbers are nice, but in the end, how far you pull the sled or how fast you run down the track are true measures of how your truck is running...good luck, post up when you get some numbers:thumbsup:
Yeah I agree with you fully on that! But it will be a while before I dyno my junk :rof

· Premium Member
600 Posts
When I dyno I hold the brakes till I hit between 15-20 psi then I stomp it and Im the only one that has dynoed my truck and I plan on keeping it that not doubting the dyno operators I just feel that its better to dyno my own truck cause I know how it runs and sounds imho

· Registered
305 Posts
ive dynod mine several times, never ever had anyone but me drive it, i dont hold the brakes and i still hit my wastegate which is set at 40psi

· Registered
1,281 Posts
gonna dyno my truck this weekend and am not really for sure how to go about it either....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.