1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly question maybe but :confused013:

When is the turbo spinning?

All the time?

Only at 1 PSI boost or higher and when slowing down from there?

I know I can drive slowly and of course coast with 0 boost but is the turbo spinning anyway?

Just wondering.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have always wondered this too. When you are sitting and idling does the turbo still spin slowly?

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully we will both know soon.

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If noone answers by tomorrow morning my intake tube is coming off and I am starting the truck up and I'll just look at it and find out! Hopefully no small creatures get sucked in.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
It constantly spins. there is a flow of exhaust gasses from the time it begins to turn over to the time it completely shuts down.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It constantly spins. there is a flow of exhaust gasses from the time it begins to turn over to the time it completely shuts down.
x2, :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
no offence to anyone, but i cant believe this question was even asked.

·
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,249 Posts
turbo is always spinning, from time of fire to shutdown like stated above, thats why people use turbo timers, it will spin after you have been idle and shutdown, thus the temps cool down so the viscosity of the oil, when heated doesnt break down as bad when the truck is shutoff, thus cooler temps, saves the turbo...

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no offence to anyone, but i cant believe this question was even asked.
None taken, we are not all as awesome as you!

Also, no offense, but you spelled offense wrong.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yea im gunna have to second that....Ive never had a vehicle with a turbo and really dont know that much about em. Sorry I'm not up to par with all of your knowledge.

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
Yup....

Always spinning at some rate of speed while the engine is running, but it takes a certain ammount of exhaust velocity/density/heat/ect to get it to 'spool' and spin fast enough to create boost on the compressor side.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
None taken, we are not all as awesome as you!

Also, no offense, but you spelled offense wrong.
just a simple truck drive. not a grammar teacher. :lol4:

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you to everyone who offered helpful answers. Now I will be able to sleep tonight.

·
Registered
167 Posts
been awhile since I've been on here and over the last 4 posts I've read I had a smart az comment to make for each, but have restrained myself.....come on, don't make it so easy.

Think about it, exhaust is more or less airflow, and must pass your turbo. As your cranking it over to start the turbo is starting to move, ever so slightly but still trying.

Like they say though, a stupid question is one that is not asked....until now! :hehe::hehe::hehe:

just being a smart az, don't take it seriously, just could not resist takin that poke anymore

·
Registered
143 Posts
I never gave it much thought, but now I for sure. Thats why i like this site.

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
edit, be nice, just a simple question

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
been awhile since I've been on here and over the last 4 posts I've read I had a smart az comment to make for each, but have restrained myself.....come on, don't make it so easy.

Think about it, exhaust is more or less airflow, and must pass your turbo. As your cranking it over to start the turbo is starting to move, ever so slightly but still trying.

Like they say though, a stupid question is one that is not asked....until now! :hehe::hehe::hehe:

just being a smart az, don't take it seriously, just could not resist takin that poke anymore
I'll be honest, I was pretty sure it was always spinning, but not positive. Why not ask? Some faceless screenname on CumminsForum is not going to offend me so don't worry.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Like I said, the only stupid questions are ones that are not asked. I have asked many in my time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts