Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this pertains to the half tons, not one tons, but when is dodge/cummins going to release the v-8/v-6 engines for the 1500 ram?:confused013:

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know that this pertains to the half tons, not one tons, but when is dodge/cummins going to release the v-8/v-6 engines for the 1500 ram?:confused013:
Anyone????

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
i heard they were coming out in 2012..but who knows they keep changing it

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i heard they were coming out in 2012..but who knows they keep changing it
thanks. I cant wait till they have a diesel half ton.

·
Banned
626 Posts
Been waiting for it for years now. I won't be interested in buying one anymore since i have my 2500 and you can't get a half ton with a manual trans anymore.

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
They put the project on hold when fuel prices dropped back to around / under $3.00 per gallon and Chrysler ran into financial difficulties. Probably will eventually have one but I wouldn't count on one or wait for one expecting it at any particular time. Conversations between Chrysler and Cummins are ongoing and I think they're just waiting for the time to be right and the market appetite to be reasonably strong. When comparing the HEMI to a smaller diesel and the premium it's going to cost, they have to be sure that there is enough of a market for people to choose a small 6 or V-8 diesel (and the extra premium cost) over the HEMI (which is an attractive package in the 1/2 ton).

·
Salty Squid
769 Posts
I don't understand why all vehicles don't have a TD in them.

Europe is supposed to be gassless by 2012. The only new vehicle you can purchase over there is a diesel. The cars get 40+ MPG and they are quick. When's the U.S. going to allow more diesel's in regular cars?

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
I don't understand why all vehicles don't have a TD in them.

Europe is supposed to be gassless by 2012. The only new vehicle you can purchase over there is a diesel. The cars get 40+ MPG and they are quick. When's the U.S. going to allow more diesel's in regular cars?
I agree. I think the folks who are responsible for products released in the US Market for each company are afraid they won't sell here.

They're very conservative.

VW TDI's sell like hotcakes.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
VW TDI's sell like hotcakes.
I miss my TDI. Had a 2003 and 2006 - regret selling them both especially the 2003. That got well over 50mpg consistently on my commute to work driving 75 - 85. Had it chipped with open exhaust. Fun ride....

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
With the price of diesel consistantly above the price of gas, the premium required to pay to own a diesel, and the current diesel emissions being so tough and getting tougher, the average american just isn't going to buy into diesel the way Europe is. Diesel in Erope has been very popular for many years. Even before diesel started spiking so Europe has had time to justify the use of diesel extensively. America in general has been much much slower adopting and with the introduction of DPF's and the huge decline in MPG since, it will be even harder to justify. With current tech, the line between diesel and gas is bluring.

·
Registered
377 Posts
:drool2: as of now Ram 1500 is set to get V6 diesel for 2014 year model :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
The RAM is getting the V8, the Jeep is getting the V6. We had the V8 Ram at the Windsor R&D center last fall. I took it for a ride around the back lot. Pretty peppy.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Not only is the fuel prices, the higher initial cost of the motor, and the smaller market holding the 1/2 ton diesels up, the EPA isnt helping. The manufacturers might could handle slower initial sales due to the slow market, but when you add in the extra hoops the EPA adds with diesels, and the standards changing every couple years, its gonna make it harder to justify for the big 3. If people were standing in line begging for 1/2 ton diesels by the thousands, they would take the chance. But after bailouts and bankruptcies and huge profit losses, im not sure that they arent gonna do much more than put it off for then next 5 or 6. I just dont see them taking the risk...:doh:

·
Banned
626 Posts
Obama might actually help get this thing going. (I know what your thinking....) What i'm saying is that if it will help out the fleet mileage average enough to produce the truck even with a small market share, they may still do it. IIRC, they've already passed an increase in the fleet avg. mileage to 35mpg up from 25mpg by 2020.

·
Registered
254 Posts
fleet avg to 35,l dont think their gonna make it!

·
Registered
958 Posts
I got a survey from dodge about the 5.0L cummins.

Pretty much they where trying to determine if i would prefer a 5.0L V8 diesel or a 4.0L V8 direct injection turbo gas motor. And at what price point. (option prices as high as $3500) while they gave the DGI motor a price range from +2000 to -2000 over a base truck.

They rated the diesel at 25mpg hwy 20 city. 280hp 440ftlbs. Rated the gasser at same hp/tq but 19city and 23hwy (if i remmber correctly).

·
Banned
626 Posts
fleet avg to 35,l dont think their gonna make it!
They'll hit it. I expect to see alot of subcompact cars running around in the next 10 years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts