Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do you plug your block heater in on a 1999
24v CTD?

What is lowest temp you would not plug in the heater?

·
Registered
491 Posts
you dont really need it until below freezing weathers

·
It's got 12 Valves...
4,472 Posts
I plugged mine in when it got down to 30 F and below :thumbsup. Figure it is better warm the truck oil up before I was making my usual daily short trips and just better in general on the motor.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Moved to the 24v forum..

The grid heater will cycle when the IAT sensor reads 55 degrees or below. The engine will start unassisted (by block heater) down to about -20F, although it begins to really labor below 0F without the block heater.

I usually plug mine in when it is going to be below 20. If nothing else, it will get you heat in the cab quicker.

It costs on the order of $1 a day to run the block heater.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I plug mine in anytime it is in the 40's or below here. It sure is nice getting i a truck and befor eyou make an 1/8th of a mile have heat...

It will help at any temp below 55....

Oh and keep an eye ion this thred because there are going to be those that will come here and say how uch money is being wasted by using electricity to keep it warm.. it does not use more than a light bulb would...

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
I plug her in at about 10. Not because I have to, but its easier on everything.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I plug mine in when its 50deg or below...allows me to jump in and go..so I don't have to wait for my oil pressure to drop a bit...I never drive until my OP is at 60psi idling...that way I don't go above 80psi driving...just something I do....and no automation until the truck gets up to temp...and OP is 60psi driving..

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
When do you plug your block heater in on a 1999
24v CTD?

What is lowest temp you would not plug in the heater?
If its below 40*F I plug it in... :thumbsup

Al temps above that I can easily start the engine even if I don't wait for the WAIT TO START light...

·
Registered
424 Posts
i plug in at about 10 or below

·
Registered
435 Posts
In temps 20 or lower I plug mine in right before I got to bed. A five minute warmup w/ the exhaust brake on in the morning and I have heat. now if it's below zero when i get home from work, I plug it in right away.
If my truck is left over night and I can't plug it in, I can trust it to start down to zero. i try to avoid that, it's just hard on the engine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine gets pluged in (on a timer) in my heated garage all winter ;) spoiled dodge...

Altho, I only keep the garage at 40, and my comute is on the shorter side, figured it's better off with some preheat.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
I have mine on a three hour timer and I plug it in once it gets under 20*. But it has been in single digits and I have forgot to plug it in and it fires up just fine. But it is easier on the motor and me in the cab if I plug her in.:thumbsup

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
If its below 40*F I plug it in... :thumbsup

Al temps above that I can easily start the engine even if I don't wait for the WAIT TO START light...
It is easier on the engine, don't leave it plug in though for more than 10 hours at a time or you could ruin your block heater. I have noticed that I get better fuel economy when I plug it in because the oil is a bit warmer and not so thick.:thumbsup

·
Registered
61 Posts
The engine heater has a thermostat and will only warm the coolant to a fixed temp. Also, a side benefit, if you have an auto trans, there will be some convection circulation of coolant thru the tube and shell trans cooler, warming the trans quicker.....:thumbsup
In cold/windy weather, it helps to cover the radiator at night. keeps everything warmer.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just curious how long people let the thing go for? I left mine on over night before reading this. Just trying out for the first time this morning.

Any idea about how long it takes to heat, will it turn itself off once it reaches temp, or continue as long as it's plugged in?

I'm usually in 30-50 in the morn.

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
I wouldn't even bother plugging in until temps get down below 0 to-10*f. The grids are more than able to help start the truck.

However if you want to plug in now you should only need ~1 - 2 when it is as warm as you are in the morning. It's only money right :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
This is probably a dumb test..but I've gotten a p0500 a couple mornings when I've turned it on in the morning with the heater running..something about the temp not rising enough in grid heater I think. I think I need to replace my wiring, I just don't even know where to begin or what to request at a mechanic

1 - 20 of 26 Posts