Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im starting to look into some wheels/tires for my rig. i would appreciate any input regarding good options for on-road performance and more specifically more mpg's. my rig is a daily driver and sees about 60-70 miles a day of highway and town driving. off-roading isnt really a concern atm. any help would be awesome :hyper:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Im getting some one piece forged wheels for my rig they are lighther and stronger than cast or steel wheels this would problably be your best option as for tires I really cant help you there it would be what you prefer I guess good luck buddy :beer

·
Registered
12 Posts
Look at the Pro Comp Extreme A/T it is an excelent tire. I had a set on my '05 with almost 30,000 miles before I sold the truck & still had atleast half the tread left. They come with a 40,000 mi tread wear warranty. I barely got 30,000 miles out of my Toyo A/T's. I'm running M/T Baja ATZ's on my '08 Mega they are alright but I don't think they are as good as the ProComp's. Don't think I'll get the miles out of them either. Rims there are way to many to choose from. I had Diamo's on my '05 & I run XD Rockstar's on my '08.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
If all your looking for is on road performance and MPG, there's only one tire to turn to. The best in the tire business, Michelin! They may not look aggressive but there tires are superior on the road. You can easily get 80K miles out of them. They are smooth and quiet. I put a set of LTX A/T 285/70 on to replace my stock tires. They fill up the fender wells more. They are an excellent tire! And worth the money :thumbsup

·
Registered
838 Posts
Cooper ATR's. 50k warranty, do real well on ice snow rain, whatever.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If all your looking for is on road performance and MPG, there's only one tire to turn to. The best in the tire business, Michelin! They may not look aggressive but there tires are superior on the road. You can easily get 80K miles out of them. They are smooth and quiet. I put a set of LTX A/T 285/70 on to replace my stock tires. They fill up the fender wells more. They are an excellent tire! And worth the money :thumbsup
I agree 100%.

·
SootCloudMaker3
5,672 Posts
If your looking for the best hwy tires i believe i would also go with the Michelins. Very road friendly and easy to turn so they wont hurt you mpg's. Dont go much bigger than the factory size either. That will take a toll on you mpg's.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
so it sounds like the consensus is for michelins. no problem there. they are the best tire we use at lexus. balance and wear great. now, one other question. michelin has a couple different options. if i keep my 17's i can run a few different sizes and tires. in a 265/70/17 i can run the ltx a/t2's or the ltx a/s. dunno which is a better option. if i step it up a little bit i can run the 285/70/17 in the ltx a/t2's or i can go to 20 inch wheels and run 285/55/20 ltx a/t2's. finally i could always go to the alcoa mini-floats in the 255/70/22.5's. could i run 275/80/22.5's with a lift kit?disregarding price for the alcoa's, which is the best option? im a performance guy so this is new territory for me :)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
It depends on the look you want. I kept the stock wheels on and went with 285/70/17 LTX A/T 2. I'm very happy with the quality. Smooth and quiet so I can listen to the turbo and not the tires. I don't think anything bigger than 18" wheels look good on a stock Ram. If you want to go bigger than 18" I would get a lift. As long as you stay with Michelin you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm a BFG AT kinda guy myself... they're EXCELLENT in snow and the 285's look great on stock wheels

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I just got Nitto Dura Grappler 285s which are supposed to be a great highway tire. It's a pretty new tire so only time will tell. Check them out. They are E-Rated too...

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,459 Posts
I swear, if Michelin ever came out with a 315/70R17 or comparable sized tire, i would buy tires for life. i LOVE the XPS ribs on my dually and run Pilot Powers on my bike for the street and Pilot Races for the track, but just can't get past the fact that i want a ~35" tall tire on my '08. Oh, to have the best of both worlds...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I swear, if Michelin ever came out with a 315/70R17 or comparable sized tire, i would buy tires for life. i LOVE the XPS ribs on my dually and run Pilot Powers on my bike for the street and Pilot Races for the track, but just can't get past the fact that i want a ~35" tall tire on my '08. Oh, to have the best of both worlds...
E rated Michelin 35: Count me in....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts