Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Wheel Studs on Front Hub

739 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  enafzige
Hello,
several weeks ago I took my dodge 3500 in to get new tires. the tire place removed the front hub cap and found 2 of the lug nuts and studs broke off. i called dodge and they said that this was not covered by the warranty. please let me know if anyone else has had this happen to you. will post pics later of the broken studs and nuts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· A Couple Diesels
3,149 Posts
this it happening ALOT- my truck broke six off and I know of a couple of others that have also broken more then 2 on the front (all on the front only)........

there is a national back order on the studs (or was) acouple of weeks ago.....

very bad I had 2 lugs holding on my front tire and had no knowledge or viberations

· Registered
9 Posts
At least I am not alone. I lost 5 off my front right side. When I stopped to check the wobble, four of the studs were laying on the ground where I stopped. The parts guy said he sells a ton of them. Had to go to a couple places to find 8, also got 4 extras just in case. Can you get these in a heavy duty setup? I am ready to go titanium or something if this is gonna continue. Only had the truck a month.

· Premium Member
163 Posts
Are you guys running the factory wheels or aftermarket?

There are little spur washer retaining clips on some of the studs that you have to bust off if you run an aftermarket wheel. I learned the hard way too after breaking 3 studs. After removing the washers, I have had no more problems...even when jumping the truck and hauling heavy.

These guys carry Dorman studs, and are bout the best you can get.

Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto

--Eric

· Registered
1,267 Posts
I had one break off on mine, i went to the local parts place and got one, they are proud of em over $10 for one stud! I replaced it and haven't had anymore problems, knock on wood!

· Premium Member
163 Posts
:confused013:

There are little spur washer retaining clips on some of the studs that you have to bust off if you run an aftermarket wheel. I learned the hard way too after breaking 3 studs. After removing the washers, I have had no more problems...even when jumping the truck and hauling heavy.

These guys carry Dorman studs, and are bout the best you can get.

Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto
Uhm, the place I linked above has the dorman studs for $3.66 before the discount...

And don't forget to get rid of the spur washers :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.