Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase front wheel hub bearings 2006 ram 2500 4×4.. who are the best? Thank you for your input..

·
Premium Member
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 68RFE 4 inch lift
1,934 Posts
SKF, Timken are both really good. Have you considered doing a free spin kit? It’s more money, but your front driveshaft isn’t spinning constantly.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Or NTN, which are frequently easier to find than SKF. You can't go wrong with any Timken, SKF, or NTN. Treat the three brands like commodities and pick the cheapest of the three. Might be different brands with the low price between inner and outer. That's not a problem. Theoretically you should even be able to interchange races and roller cage because they're built to common standards... but I can never bring myself to try that. Try not to buy them from random sellers on Amazon or ebay. There is a substantial problem with counterfeit bearings. Fakes have even made their way into auto parts chain stock on occasion. I like to get bearings from industrial bearing supply chains; they do business directly with the manufacturers in quantity. Usually the cheapest way, too.

Second on the free spin kit. Even with a CAD on my 4Gen so only my axles were spinning, it makes a pretty obvious difference in noise, background vibration, and steering feel. I was astonished. Looks like a tiny gain in mileage, too. You would see more without a CAD because the free spins will shut down your axles, front diff, and front driveshaft.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wish I could tight budget someday
Or NTN, which are frequently easier to find than SKF. You can't go wrong with any Timken, SKF, or NTN. Treat the three brands like commodities and pick the cheapest of the three. Might be different brands with the low price between inner and outer. That's not a problem. Theoretically you should even be able to interchange races and roller cage because they're built to common standards... but I can never bring myself to try that. Try not to buy them from random sellers on Amazon or ebay. There is a substantial problem with counterfeit bearings. Fakes have even made their way into auto parts chain stock on occasion. I like to get bearings from industrial bearing supply chains; they do business directly with the manufacturers in quantity. Usually the cheapest way, too.

Second on the free spin kit. Even with a CAD on my 4Gen so only my axles were spinning, it makes a pretty obvious difference in noise, background vibration, and steering feel. I was astonished. Looks like a tiny gain in mileage, too. You would see more without a CAD because the free spins will shut down your axles, front diff, and front driveshaft.
Hi Eric you wouldn't have a part number? Or website thank you

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Looks like your truck has unit bearing assemblies, just like mine did. Didn't know Dodge went cheap that far back. Which is why 5.7 Hemi suggested the change to free spins -- they come with serviceable bearings. I see brand name Timken unit bearing assemblies for about $400 for the pair for up to 2005.... only no-name generics for 2006- , ranging from $70 for a pair up to $300....

That's a pisser. I would not put no-name import poo under that truck's front end. Let's see... Dyna-Trac free spin sets... ouch, two grand. You're going to have to hear from some 3 Gen experts I'm afraid. I'm just gonna have to google some more, and I know there are guys here who know what's best for your truck backwards and forwards.

·
Registered
737 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
SKF

Reactions: Shorts

·
Registered
233 Posts
I only buy Timken, maybe I’m a snob or something, but I haven’t had any issues with them.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Another recommend ordering from Rock Auto. I bought Timkens from them before.

Reactions: Marq92
1 - 10 of 10 Posts