Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a squeal from the front end while driving. Only happens above 10 MPH. Constant. Doesn't quit when engine idles down. I assume it is the front wheel bearings? Any other thing might squeal like that up there that I don't now of?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Try this: driving down an open road at about 10 to 20 mph, turn the wheel to the left, this will load the right side wheel bearing. If the noise gets louder, then it's the right side wheel bearing. Turning the wheel to the right will load the left side. If it gets louder, then it's the left wheel bearing.

This works 99% of the time for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try this: driving down an open road at about 10 to 20 mph, turn the wheel to the left, this will load the right side wheel bearing. If the noise gets louder, then it's the right side wheel bearing. Turning the wheel to the right will load the left side. If it gets louder, then it's the left wheel bearing.

This works 99% of the time for me.

Left or right...doesn't matter. If one is bad, I would change them both.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Sure you don't have a caliper dragging? Any of your rotors look discolored? Check th3 back side of each rotor too. Had this on my uncle's 2nd Gen.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Or a wear indicator on a brake pad, but usually that’ll be much more pronounced under light braking. If it’s squealing when you’re not braking then it’s either a wheel bearing (most likely), hung caliper (less likely but also pretty common), or your pads are totally shot and you’re basically braking with the backing plate (unlikely but I guess theoretically possible). As was said above, probably best to replace both sides if one is bad, regardless of which cause it ends up being.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
2wd or 4wd? U joints? Does one side get warm? Caliper dragging? Block up the front end and check it out.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
jack up wheel. rock 12 and 6 o'clock. If you feel clicking or looseness...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Same thing happened to me, turned out to be a bent edge of the dust cover on the rotor...drove me nuts!
Yep...this happened to me too! Talk about cursing while doing elimination procedures. On a side note, I had a light clunk or rattle sound coming from mine last week. I swore up and down that I had something losses underneath. Turns out, the rear right center cap inner ring is loose and it makes that hollow plastic sound when I hit a slight bump. UGH!

·
Registered
437 Posts
As stated above, your best choice is to replace both sides if one is bad. I don't remember the thread it was on but check out the trick for extending your hubs life. Every other oil change, pull the ABS sensor, put a few drops of 90W or any gear lube in there. Then reinstall sensor. This will keep the "sealed" bearings grease moist and prevent it from breaking down sooner. Does it work? Not sure. But I have been doing this for 100k miles almost and I have yet to have any issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As stated above, your best choice is to replace both sides if one is bad. I don't remember the thread it was on but check out the trick for extending your hubs life. Every other oil change, pull the ABS sensor, put a few drops of 90W or any gear lube in there. Then reinstall sensor. This will keep the "sealed" bearings grease moist and prevent it from breaking down sooner. Does it work? Not sure. But I have been doing this for 100k miles almost and I have yet to have any issues.
Good to know. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I also have been doing this every other oil change

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New pads delivered, new front wheel bearing/hubs delivered, oil sitting on the shelf, picking up new filters today.

Guess what I am doing this weekend...

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
“15 minute job”...

Famous last words, right up there with “hold my beer and watch this”...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Pull the old abs sensor. Put a jerk fitting on it. Makes greasing less messy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts