Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer we bought a 2006 21ft K2 toy hauler with 5k axels that when ''wet'' and loaded has 7700lbs on the axels. It also has the original Chinese tires 225 75 15 D rated with little wear but they will be replaced soon. Because the tires show very little wear I figure the wheel bearings probably haven't been greased since new so now's the time. How often do you guys service these and does it make a difference whether the unit sits or is used a lot as to how often the wheel bearings should be repacked?

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
Just for peace of mind I recommend you pull them off, inspect the bearings and races then repack or replace as required. I never reuse seals. A lot of forums recommend repacking them every year, but I think that is overkill and an attempt from the repair industry to boost income, sorta like the 3000 mile oil change. You don't repack the front bearings on a vehicle every year, and they get lots more miles than most RVs. I pull the hubs on my 5er, and my gooseneck trailer about once every 4 or 5 years.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
A lot of forums recommend repacking them every year, but I think that is overkill and an attempt from the repair industry to boost income, sorta like the 3000 mile oil change.
I think that greasing every year is cheap insurance on utility trailers with 8" wheels because they rotate really fast at highway speeds, and of course on boat trailers that are submerged in water whenever you launch/retrieve your vessel.

No matter what I'm towing, I have a habit of checking the hub temps whenever I stop for a break. Paid off big time once when I discovered that a small trailer of mine threw a grease cap on the highway, and I re-packed the bearing and put on a new cap in the parking lot of a Tractor Supply store.....

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Not to be a dickheed but, have you checked that they are not EZ lube hubs?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EZ lube hubs

Not to be a dickheed but, have you checked that they are not EZ lube hubs?
No but I certainly will check. I think because I don't know most of my toy hauler's history I will still take it apart and then service every 2 or 3 years

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
I have EZ lube hubs on my boat trailer (no, not boat buddies) and my enclosed cargo trailer. Thankfully, neither have brakes because after a few trips they both leak from the inner seals. I wouldn't trust them on hubs with brakes. In order to get new grease to the outer bearings you have to pump enough grease to go through the inner bearings, fill the hub and exit the outer bearings. On RV hubs you are looking at a half tube or more of grease to do that. Since the grease will follow the path of least resistance do you have enough faith in the inner seals to force the grease through the hub? Then there is the added benefit of being able to inspect the brake compnants while the hub is removed. EZ lube hubs are a disaster waiting to happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts