Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
14,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a couple new batteries since mine are acting up after unknowingly leaving the interior lights on for a couple days.:doh: And there's little to no specification info on the Internet except for a couple brands like Optima and Interstate..........which are both excellent brands but thats not the point of my question.

I'm looking to find out what battery brands you guys have found to be quality and reliable. My current options seem to be Napa brand, Kragen brand, Costco brand, Wal-mart brand, Interstate, and Optima. The batteries I'm replacing are Kragen Autolites which worked fine until the recent unfortunate draining and I kinda feel that one bad incident shouldn't ruin a 3 year old battery either which is why I'm not looking to replace with the same brand.

This isn't intended on being a flame thread either so keep the bashing to a minimum please.:thumbsup:

· Registered
213 Posts
Dunno how long they'll last and I won't be finding out, but the Wal Mart Maxx batteries in the truck I'm driving seem to do the trick. 36 month full replacement, afaik.

Heck, most batteries are made by either Exide or Johnson Controls, afaik, just bit different specs here and there.

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
i love the hell outta my wally worl yellow side batteries....4 years goin on 5 and she still cranks great :party018:

if you have a dealer near you, look at the DEKA batteries

· Banned
399 Posts
I have two Optimas in my truck, one in my Jeep. Two winters so far, both start every time no matter how cold out. I'm very happy with these.
For the store brands, I used Sears Die-Hards for many years, they are very good.
Interstate is also a good brand, I have one in the wife's car, it has worked well so far.

· Registered
1,933 Posts
i have used plenty of batteries including optima. honestly i get the cheaper ones have the longest warranty. optima only warranties for like 18 months.

i always get 2 marine blue tops for diesels. i have a complete commecial dive station i run off my truck so the deep cycle is always a plus for me. you can run them down to the ground and they recover in no time!!

· It's got 12 Valves...
4,022 Posts
Interstate makes some great batteries IMO. I have got a set in my truck right now..going on 7 y/o :shock:. I plan on replacing them with the same when the time comes :thumbsup:

· Registered
542 Posts
Ive always rumm less schwab's batteries in all of my cars and trucks, never had any problems with them (untill they were about 6 years old).

· Registered
261 Posts
I'm trust an Interstate Guy pretty well, but it's not the only good one... The longest lasting battery that I ever had was a Die Hard Gold which lasted over 8 years, even though I ran it dead as a brick about 40 times because I have a bad habit of leaving My headlights on when I get to work at 7am and can't see the beams anymore... It wasn't in a diesel truck, and they are expensive but good... I bought My truck used and it has the yellow side batts in it, when they get weak I'll probably put a couple big ol' Interstates in it...

· Diesel Filled Veins!
5,772 Posts
I recently did the whole searching for a battery thing as well. Although I went with Energizer from Walmart, if I could have I would have went with CAT 1000CCA batteries, barring that I would have went with Costco batteries (no local Costco where I'm at).

I got two GROUP 65 batteries (they fit nicely in the tray, more CCA but you need a different battery hold down clamp, I used plumbers strap). The Energizer group 65s that I bought work great but have 100CCA LESS than the group 65 Costco Kirkland I have in my gasser - hence why I would've chose Kirkland second. If I could have, group 76 is the ultimate but a wee bit long for our stock battery trays and cracking/breaking of the battery tray will result. If I had the time I would've bought new trays but it was getting cold and truck wasn't starting.

· Registered
14,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I recently did the whole searching for a battery thing as well. Although I went with Energizer from Walmart, if I could have I would have went with CAT 1000CCA batteries, barring that I would have went with Costco batteries (no local Costco where I'm at).

I got two GROUP 65 batteries (they fit nicely in the tray, more CCA but you need a different battery hold down clamp, I used plumbers strap). The Energizer group 65s that I bought work great but have 100CCA LESS than the group 65 Costco Kirkland I have in my gasser - hence why I would've chose Kirkland second. If I could have, group 76 is the ultimate but a wee bit long for our stock battery trays and cracking/breaking of the battery tray will result. If I had the time I would've bought new trays but it was getting cold and truck wasn't starting.
I thought all group 65's were the same size. I was considering picking up a couple Interstates next week but not if I cant use the stock clamp. :confused:

I'd actually like to have some marine batteries since I tend to leave my truck hooked up to my trailer when camping and its nice to have the extra amps.

MAN.....now I'm totally confused.:doh:

· Registered
62 Posts
i have had optima red tops in mine for about 7 years and they still start perfect every morning and they support my subs and amp perfect. it gets cold here average mornin temp is about 15-20 in winter i love mine good luck

· Registered
146 Posts
I have had great service out of Deka batteries, they are a Pennsylvania company, high CCA, fair price! I just put one in my old 300D too!

· Diesel Filled Veins!
5,772 Posts
I thought all group 65's were the same size. I was considering picking up a couple Interstates next week but not if I cant use the stock clamp. :confused:

I'd actually like to have some marine batteries since I tend to leave my truck hooked up to my trailer when camping and its nice to have the extra amps.

MAN.....now I'm totally confused.:doh:

All group 65 are the same dimentions. Our trucks came with group 35 I think which are narrower. Don't worry about not using the stock battery clamps, just get some plumbers metal strapping (comes in a roll, about 1" wide with two different sized holes punched throughout the length of the strapping), double over and cut to length and use your stock hold down bolts, added an extra 5-10 for my battery install.

· Registered
89 Posts
mine had the yellow sided wal-mart maxx in it when i bought it and its never went dead once even left my lights on long time once and still fired up they goo i like em

· Registered
986 Posts
I killed, then completely froze (for 3 months) an interstate battery, then I let it thaw for two days in the shop, charged it up, and put it back in my car and have been running it for another year without a problem, even with the 30 below nights, and sitting for 4 days, it still starts right up.

· Registered
130 Posts
A vote for Interstate Battery here. We have a Interstate Battery Store close to my work. I go and get the Blem's.
They are the same battery as the high dollar ones. They may have a scratch or something on them so they can't sell them at full price. In the truck the batteries get replaced after 5 years, I am NOT going to get stuck with a dead battery. Also when I replace my batteries I also replace my headlights, might be dumb but I don't want those burning out either. I have them in everything: Mowers, ATV's, trailers, the truck and the Jeep. I even have their batteries in my watch. -Jason

· Registered
1,073 Posts
go with optimas. they are the best hands down. yellow, red, and blue tops are all amazing. i use the yellow top optima in my boat and it won't die....... Still can't believe its 32 degrees in south florida.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.