Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK....I just bought my first dodge with a cummins motor, so dont beat me up too bad for asking this, but what the hell is with the oil drain plug? The only thing I could find that resembles a drain plug is on the very bottom of the oilpan, and is so rusted, it looks like it hasnt been off since 2000 when the thing was made....and it looks like some kind of square or something. Is there some special tool that takes it out, or has somone come up with a new way to change oil that doesnt involve pulling the drain plug?

·
Got P7100?
6,673 Posts
you use a 1/2" drive ratchet in the square hole, maybe a breaker bar if its that rusty

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just tried.....1/2 is way too big.....3/8 kinda fits, but I didnt wanna force it cause it looks like it was stripping it.....

·
Got P7100?
6,673 Posts
well its one or the other, its been a while since i changed my oil cause my truck was tore apart for 4 months.

Have you dug all the crap out of it?

They can get pretty tight from the heating and cooling they go through

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
its a 3/8 ratchet

Reactions: mathews8pt

·
Diesel South
1,545 Posts
well its one or the other, its been a while since i changed my oil cause my truck was tore apart for 4 months.

Have you dug all the crap out of it?

They can get pretty tight from the heating and cooling they go through
LOL come on man.........it's a 3/8" ratchet..... but if it hasn't been off in a while you might need a 1/2" ratchet with a reducer to 3/8"

·
Got P7100?
6,673 Posts
LOL come on man.........it's a 3/8" ratchet..... but if it hasn't been off in a while you might need a 1/2" ratchet with a reducer to 3/8"
:rof:rof ive had so many other things apart lately that i guess i forgot what size the oil drain plug was.:doh: Lets see, full tranny rebuild myself, charger swap(and rebuild), heater exchanger off and cleaned, injectors(a different truck), body work and took my leveling kit off. All since ive changed the oil last:S::S:

·
Diesel South
1,545 Posts
:rof:rof ive had so many other things apart lately that i guess i forgot what size the oil drain plug was.:doh: Lets see, full tranny rebuild myself, charger swap(and rebuild), heater exchanger off and cleaned, injectors(a different truck), body work and took my leveling kit off. All since ive changed the oil last:S::S:
you want a cookie?:stirpot::hehe:

·
Registered
275 Posts
:rof No, just a break in having to work on it:S:

Thanks for clearin it up though:thumbsup:
Yeah that would be nice, If your trucks anything like mine i've got a list a mile long of stuff to fix/change. The only time i get a break is when i'm broke or workin. But anyways it might help to spray the oil plug with some penetrating oil. I know on my 96 my oil plug was pretty rusty, and i actually started to bend the oil pan trying to get it loose. put some penetrating oil on it and it popped loose right away.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, im gonna soak it with some PB blaster tomorrow.....im just afraid to strip it......

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
If you strip it just weld a "big" nut to it, like maybe a 3/4" or 1" nut so you can weld inside it as much as possible, then you can get a wrench or socket on it.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Get a long handle ratchet sick it in the hole... Nail that handle with a dead blow hammer and bet you it will come loose. Yes they get rather super tight after long periods. Even mine does that...

As for the threads... There soaking in engine oil... :hehe:

Reactions: Turbolover

·
Registered
275 Posts
Get a long handle ratchet sick it in the hole... Nail that handle with a dead blow hammer and bet you it will come loose. Yes they get rather super tight after long periods. Even mine does that...

As for the threads... There soaking in engine oil... :hehe:
That's what I thought with mine, but i figured what the heck i'll try it. It seemed to help.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:confused013:well if anyone is still following this thread, I used the breaker bar on it, and as expected, it just wore the hole round. Im afraid to weld a nut on there and fry some of the electronics on the truck....I have no idea what to do.....

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Might be time to find a salvaged pan...

If your going to weld on the pan I would be smart and disconnect the batteries (both positive and ground) just for safety sake...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
but what about some of the other electronics? will they be ok with the low frequency discharge the welder generates?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Can u get a punch or chisel on it and see if you can turn it that way....

As for the welding guys weld on bars and what not all the time and i have not heard of any neg. effects but as Mike said disconnect the batteries of s*&ts and giggles...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts