Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone experiencing on these newer dodges. Just bought a 2011 and love it compared to the 2008 I had. Averaged 20.4 miles to gallon hand calculated in a 1000 mile trip this week. Rides like a cadillac.

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
I would maybe believe it at 55 mph if you didn't stop and had no wind or wind at your back but at 70? Really?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I managed 17.4 on the over head once. C&C QC w/ c&m bed 09 3500 3.73 all stock. That was babying it on only hwy never city accept fill up which was still 55/45. The 12v gets 20 normal and ive gotten 26.6.

Wait 2011 is exhaust fluid and not the diesel dumping into the exhaust. Right?
If so did you include the fluid?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I managed 17.4 on the over head once. C&C QC w/ c&m bed 09 3500 3.73 all stock. That was babying it on only hwy never city accept fill up which was still 55/45. The 12v gets 20 normal and ive gotten 26.6.

Wait 2011 is exhaust fluid and not the diesel dumping into the exhaust. Right?
If so did you include the fluid?
2011 mega cab still has the DPF, no urea...(his other posts show a mega cab...)

20.4 stock @ 70 with a mega i call BS...maybe downhill for 1000 miles...:rof

·
Registered
614 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. In that case I call bs.

·
Registered
807 Posts
What is everyone experiencing on these newer dodges. Just bought a 2011 and love it compared to the 2008 I had. Averaged 20.4 miles to gallon hand calculated in a 1000 mile trip this week. Rides like a cadillac.
Does regen work on your truck? :shock: :confused013:

Sorry, just find that hard to believe on a stock MC truck with 3.73's. my average seems to be firming up at 19.5 - 19.8 with the same gears. Strictly highway, unloaded, MM set on mild, and mostly flat running @ 73 MPH is around 20.2, and i'm deleted. And that's IF i keep my foot out of it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ive got a bone stock 2011 and I get at best 18.5 on the road and I am on the road allot. When I tow my camper I am down to about 11 or 12 if I am lucky.

·
Air Force Vet
2,423 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
I get about 14.3 hwy and mine is a 2011. Please elaborate?:stirpot: :hehe:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm also getting 19.5 mpg empty running 65 mph with 3:73 and this is running us395 from susanville to lone pine and return. great truck. mine is the H.O

·
Registered
139 Posts
It's possible, not likely, but possible.

Empty, flat, no headwinds, I can get about 17-18 at 70 mph. Of course, my sweetspot is 55-65 max, 55-60 being the point where the engine is running at about 1,200 rpm. At that speed I can see 20-and even hit 21 mph for quite a while on one trip. Flat, no headwinds. But that was also on stock Michelin 265/70/17 highway tread tires and stock front end.

Now with 285/70/17 A/T tires, I lose about 1/2 mpg. With a Ranch Hand replacement bumper and grill, I lose about 1/4 mph. Stock no leveling.

Let's not forget the other variables discussed on another threat. Is this sea level or 7,000 feet up in high plains? Thin air in high altitude can affect mileage. What is the season? Freezing butt cold/burning hot or nice 60-80s? Running the air conditioning? Windows up or down? All these factors into mileage.

Of course, the driver's attitude on the skinny pedal is really the biggest factor.

While it is possible for 20.4 at 70 mph, the planets must align perfectly. I have not seen it in my truck and I drive like a little old lady with a colostomy bag and an oxygen bottle. I just wave at people passing me by and just enjoy the Cummins singing its sonorus baritone. It's possible, but not doable for every day folks.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have posted it before, but I got about the same on some legs of a 3000 mile trip from Dallas to Northern Michigan this summer. Speeds was 65 to 70 or a tad above. Full-boat AC (it was during the 100+ degree stretch this summer) and through the mountains in MO. Cruise control almost constantly, and hit 20.8, on one leg.

- Tim

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
i agree that the 4th gen rides much smoother than the 3rd gens, but to say they ride like a cadillac :rof, not even close, no HD truck rides like a cadillac. Maybe if you reset your lie o meter and look at while driving a flat hiway road you might see 20 mpg but when you slow for a car in front and speed up,slow for a corner, stop for a pee and go, or a regen starts i don't beleive it one bit.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Hand-calculated = Hand reached up and pressed the overhead button for MPG. Right? ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Im also looking into the 2011 cummins I have a 7" lifted duramax lol. I do alot of construction work in the city and cant bring that in the city anymore, The last time I did a car swerved into to me as I was making a right turn and my back wheel drove clean across the hood the guys nissan pulsar. LMAO. Im in between that or a 1500 ram. I love diesels though but dont know if I really need two HD trucks. Want a pickup I can actually park and put stuff in the back of in NYC. I kinda ruined my DMax for work but hey its fun.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.