Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

What's the hx40 good for

807 Views 7 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Grumpy John 4X4
I have seen some really good buys on the hx40's and i am wondering what they are good for horse power wise.

There seems to be a lot of hating on them. Are they poorly manufactured or something? Or is it just because it is so easy to over fuel it?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
638 Posts
well its not much of an improvement over stock, and they usually come with 16 or 18 cm exhaust housings, so they spool noticably slower than the stocker. and people claim they have weak shafts

· Registered
942 Posts
If you find a 14 wg of 16 wg, depending on the power level you are at, it is a good turbo.
Yes the shaft can break with some abuse, but it is a good turbo for up-graded power levels.

· Future Fly Boy!
2,228 Posts
it will take you up to a little below 500....hx40's and some a50's would be nice (probally a little hot)...that will net high 4's though assuming you have all thge supporting mods...if you can get one cheap, id def. jump on it:thumbsup:

· Horse Power JUNKIE
1,656 Posts
The HX-40s are kind of an old school upgrade. Now with schwitzer 300 and all of its difference plat forms you can get a much better turbo. My PDR HX-40 has worked great for me and what I use my truck for.... mainly hot rodding around. I've towed a couple times but its not much weight and it did ok. Beating on the truck in a 1/4 mile pass the temps dont go more than 1200-1250 really, most daily driving is around 700-900*. It is a bit laggy, but having 4.10 help a little and it does haze smoke pretty much all the time.

All in all it is a pretty good cheap upgrade from stock if you puching a good amount of fuel.

· ......................... .....
2,703 Posts
they work, but they are laggy.

hx40 is REALLY getting pushed at 475 horse, and 500 its begging for death.

its a VERY old school turbo, an hx40/ht3b combo was the thing to do 10 years ago.

now, the combo offers 70-75lb/min of air (about the same as an s366/71/14), similar or slower spool up, and twice the boost for no reason.

s300g only has a 57mm wheel and outflows a 6 blade 60mm hx40

· Registered
528 Posts
HX 40/16 370's

HX 40/16 with 370 injectors work for me! :thumbsup: :flag1::flag::flag::flag::usa:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.