Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was wondering what type of diff i have int he rear of my truck. and if something is worn or broken. when i do a burn out just the passenger side spins. even if i am turning slightly to the left it still will spin the passenger tire will spin. thats why i think something might be broken cause the diff is suposed to send power to the tire that is on teh inside of the turn cause its is not turining as much as the outer wheel? what do you guys think. is it something like worn clutches if its a posi or broken spider gear if its an open? thanks guys

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would have to think worn clutches, i think most of these trucks are posi Dana 70s. If it was a broken spider on an open there wouldnt be any drive at all, it would most likely catch in something else and wreck something major. You Could jack up the truck,have someone hold the wheel that is spinning and try turnin the driveshaft by hand, is the other tire spins, it is worn clutches (or an open, in which case if you turn one wheel when its jacked up the other will turn the opposite way). In my 92 under the hood at the top right it says the specs along with that is a posi. Yours may be the same.

Someone a little more knowledgable nay be able to help more.

Craig

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
There's likely nothing wrong with your diff. You probably have an open diff. The wheel with the least traction is the one that will spin, regardless of which way you're turning etc. If you have a broken spider or pin you're either going to hear a hell of a racket or you're not going anywhere. If the diff is in fact a posi, yes you have something wrong with the clutches or springs or internals, but I would bet it's simply an open diff.
Steve g

1 - 3 of 3 Posts