Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

whats louder?

1058 16
i had a stock exhaust with no muffler. it was LOUD. i just put a 5 inch turbo back with a muffler on it and it is alot quieter then it was. my question is. would doing a straight 5 still be alittle quieter then straight stock? because that was just a little to loud
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Mule Barn Proprietor
11,778 Posts
Yep, you are losing the high pitched raspyness of the 3" straight, and getting the smooth, deep sound of the bigger pipe, so it seems quieter.

· Registered
9,857 Posts
i love the sound of my straight pipe. never too loud! :hehe:

· Registered
274 Posts
i had a stock exhaust with no muffler. it was LOUD. i just put a 5 inch turbo back with a muffler on it and it is alot quieter then it was. my question is. would doing a straight 5 still be alittle quieter then straight stock? because that was just a little to loud
First of all you need to take that damn muffler off that 5 inch pipe, those pipes sound so freakin good straight piped i cant even put it in words. No it wont be to loud in the cab, but your audience will get a deep toned smooth, but loud, beautiful sound blown out of the pipe at them.

Straight Pipe that Thing It sounds GOOD!!!!

· Registered
274 Posts
How do you guys like the straight 5 inch while towing? I have a straight 4 inch on my 89 and it gets pretty annoying on long hauls.
I havent got mine yet, but my buddy has one on his truck and its not to bad while towing, but we didnt go very far just probably 5 or 6 miles pulling a skid steer loader and we wer just trying to see how fast we could pull it so it was pretty loud.

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
towing is what i hated with my straight 3. im also wondering how it is with a 5

· Registered
277 Posts
deff. take that muffler out.. right now i have mine homemade. stock downpipe to a piece of four inch strait that runs back and kicks out to a 6 inch tip in front of the back tire..it's REALLY loud. dad says too loud. lol.

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i mean i dont mind loud. but apples to apples. is the 5 inch straight a BIT quieter then 3 inch straight

· Registered
356 Posts
Does the 5 inch have a bad drone? I ran a 5 inch tbe with a muffler on my 08 and it had a bad drone until i put on the areo turbine muffler.

· Registered
42 Posts
I have a 5 inch straight on my annnnnd all i can say is i love this thing! at about 2200 rpm the things just resonates alot but other than that exact spot its amazing. then barley giving it any gas keeping it low in the rpms like 1200 or so it sounds like a big rig. I dont think my neighbors like it at night but hell I DO! :headbang: Ive hauled an hour trip with it and cruising its not annoying at all 5" straights are amazing:party018:

· Registered
274 Posts
Ya the 5 inch is awesome, im going Saturday Evening to go get mine (its gonna be a 5 inch straight that will side exit in front of the right back tire with a 6 inch tip on it), and will have it put on that night so i can terroize the town. Ill tell yall how much i like it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.