Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. I posted a few years back about a close family friend I was contemplating the purchase of a truck from but at the time was not on board spending the money they wanted (Sentimental value). They have recently lost interest due to typical northeast issues like brake lines and control arm mounts which I can handle. Looking for input on what the truck is actually worth, worst case as-is for parts.

Story on the truck is it is a 1 owner was purchased new and the owner (in-laws father) passed away about 6 years ago and it has been sitting for the most part in a driveway since then but has been started and "looked after" sort of... The truck is a 99 24V Quad Cab Short Bed with +/- 50K miles, runs and moves, I hesitate to say drives because of the issues noted above.... Interior is mint as you can imagine, body I would rate about a B for Massachusetts and maybe a C anywhere else with small amount of rust starting on one of rear quarters but otherwise seems solid. Issue is the frame.... Pictures I have do not give much hope but I truly do not know condition of the frame other than a picture that looks like alot of scale. My plan would be to de-scale and treat then paint the entire frame if it was not too far gone. Suspension parts are cheap and I would do them myself so no concern there, same with brakes and brake lines.

My question is what (based on this very little info) is a value for this sort of truck given the condition and unknowns? I was hoping to have it as a side project and slowly replace what needed to be replaced and get it up and running for a reliable daily. Possibly give to my old man for his camper and general use. I know the VP44 is a concern and changing over to P-Pump is costly and time consuming, waiting to verify if 53 block or not at this point I have alot of info on it but no visual yet on the block which I am assuming no other way to determine via VIN correct? In addition the lack of driving and use for quote a while may be more of a downside than upside with the diesel but I do know it was started and run periodically and still runs great.

Specific things to look for as definitive sign I should stay clear?

Looking for the thoughts from you guys who know these trucks well and I know will be there to help me through the process and I plan to update regularly if I take the plunge. Can post some pictures if it may help.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Is it an auto or a manual?
Does the wait to start light come on immediately every time?
Scan for codes with a good scan tool.
Check the fuel pressure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it an auto or a manual?
Does the wait to start light come on immediately every time?
Scan for codes with a good scan tool.
Check the fuel pressure.
It is an Auto. Yes the wait to start light comes on immediately, what makes you ask this? No codes when i scanned it but will double check with another scan tool. Fuel pressure to injectors post VP44 or inlet pressure from the auxiliary pump? I assume from auxilary pump to see if the VP has been starved? Will need to figure out a means of doing this if a clear sign truck is worth nothing.

FYI i should have added that its a good family friend and he is now telling me to come get it before winter hits for $2k. Asking price was $5k a year ago but not marketed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
WTS light is an indication of issues with the ECU if it fails to come on immediately.
Test the fuel pressure just before the VP44.
Fuel starvation is a big issue but with low miles maybe it's OK.
I'd say $2K is a pretty good price.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WTS light is an indication of issues with the ECU if it fails to come on immediately.
Test the fuel pressure just before the VP44.
Fuel starvation is a big issue but with low miles maybe it's OK.
I'd say $2K is a pretty good price.
Thanks for the info. Frame is my big concern. Looking for as much feedback as i can get and just going to make decision and roll with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$2K I wouldn't even hesitate, a second gen around here, total crap would bring $8k
Thats kind of been my attitude but getting stuck with a bad frame is a big concern. Guess i could always sell some parts to get $ back worst case.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Trying to upload concerning photos

·
Registered
488 Posts
If trucks like that sold for $2000 on a regular basis I’d go broke buying them all. That truck for $2000 is a great price.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
I think I'd be happy paying 2k just for solid cab and front clip. Need to start looking soon. Prices are stupid around me. Like 10-15k for rusted out junk box but hey it's got a Cummins..

3,136 Posts

Trying to upload concerning photos

Going by this underbody picture, are you sure the body barely has any rust?

Have you taken a close inspection of the body?
Underneath? Magnet? Under the carpets? Bottoms of doors? etc.

·
On call 24/7
12,629 Posts
Buy it, dont think about it, just buy it! If you need a frame, come down south and get one but that trucj is easily worth 2k

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Be sure to get a couple of tetanus shots! Craigs

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
LIke said above just buy it before I do. You can sell the engine alone for 3 grand even if it is a 53. It is worth 5-7k at a werecking yard auction. If you can do the work project you can buy a freme for a few hundred and switch it all over. Get a hammer and test teh frame and go from ther, but buy it anyway and sell it for a profit for parts if need be. See as it s "family" take it out and drive it for couple of hour or days if you need to.

Reactions: CmZ90
1 - 20 of 25 Posts