Cummins Diesel Forum banner

What's going on with my trans?

1K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  TheFNG21 
#1 ·
I have the worst luck with transmissions, my nv4500 is gettin hard to grab gear when going from neutral to 1,2 or reverse. Only from dead stop. It won't slide in with ease. My rag did it not long before it deceased. Clutch fluid is full. Clutch is 5 months old and never slipped yet.

#4 ·
How do you downsift? If you put it in the gate and hold it tell it pops in then thats your problem.

#5 ·
I just clutch, drop a gear, then ease out the clutch. I don't hold it till it goes in. It goes in just fine when I'm rolling just not if i'm pullin off a stop

#6 ·
I'm fulling out the syncros only becuase stick goes into every gear perfect with truck off. Slave cylinder or clutch parts are where I'm headed. Starting with the least expensive first

#8 ·
Well I'm thinking something in the cluth line or slave cylinder because it did the same thing with my getrag and I never replacedit after my tranny swap, and I talked to the shop I boughtthe 4500 from and they said if it goes in with the truckoff it's not a syncro issue

#9 ·
Come to think of it My truck was hard to get into 1st 2nd and R, then my slave cylinder went out. I don't think I've had a problem shifting sense I replaced it. Forgot about that.

I also put about a 1/4" spacer in my clutch master cylinder, That helped a lot.

Reactions: TheFNG21
#10 ·
replaced the slave cylinder and goes into gear now but nmless clutch travel than before. Maybe try bleeding it again?

Question; should I have used a slave for the NV and not used one for the rag?

#14 ·
I'm not doubting you but I looked all over came up with nothing

Does this sound normal, clutch has play till 3/4 to floor then resistance, but grabs almost right away when releasing I barely let off and it grabs. Just doesn't seem like much pressure when engageing

#15 ·
The bleeder is right below where the tube comes in from the master.

That doesn't sound right, you need to bleed it more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.