Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the worst luck with transmissions, my nv4500 is gettin hard to grab gear when going from neutral to 1,2 or reverse. Only from dead stop. It won't slide in with ease. My rag did it not long before it deceased. Clutch fluid is full. Clutch is 5 months old and never slipped yet.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Sounds like your syncros are shot.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
How do you downsift? If you put it in the gate and hold it tell it pops in then thats your problem.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you downsift? If you put it in the gate and hold it tell it pops in then thats your problem.
I just clutch, drop a gear, then ease out the clutch. I don't hold it till it goes in. It goes in just fine when I'm rolling just not if i'm pullin off a stop

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm fulling out the syncros only becuase stick goes into every gear perfect with truck off. Slave cylinder or clutch parts are where I'm headed. Starting with the least expensive first

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Try duoble clutching. If that works then you're right.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'm thinking something in the cluth line or slave cylinder because it did the same thing with my getrag and I never replacedit after my tranny swap, and I talked to the shop I boughtthe 4500 from and they said if it goes in with the truckoff it's not a syncro issue

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Come to think of it My truck was hard to get into 1st 2nd and R, then my slave cylinder went out. I don't think I've had a problem shifting sense I replaced it. Forgot about that.

I also put about a 1/4" spacer in my clutch master cylinder, That helped a lot.

Reactions: TheFNG21

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
replaced the slave cylinder and goes into gear now but nmless clutch travel than before. Maybe try bleeding it again?

Question; should I have used a slave for the NV and not used one for the rag?

·
SW Idaho Chapter
294 Posts
Question; should I have used a slave for the NV and not used one for the rag?
The stock slave cylinder will work fine. stupid question but are you running the proper trans fluid?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The stock slave cylinder will work fine. stupid question but are you running the proper trans fluid?

Yep, got it from dodge with the part number off the trans sticker.

Question: what's the best way to bleed the hydros with out any bleeder valves and the slave still bolted to the bell housing?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
There is a bleeder screw on the slave. It's kind of hard to find but it's there.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a bleeder screw on the slave. It's kind of hard to find but it's there.
I'm not doubting you but I looked all over came up with nothing

Does this sound normal, clutch has play till 3/4 to floor then resistance, but grabs almost right away when releasing I barely let off and it grabs. Just doesn't seem like much pressure when engageing

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The bleeder is right below where the tube comes in from the master.

That doesn't sound right, you need to bleed it more.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The bleeder is right below where the tube comes in from the master.

That doesn't sound right, you need to bleed it more.
Is yours stock?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Yes it's stock.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes it's stock.
My old one is the original Chrysler part and I ain't seein any bleeder screw anywhere at the neck where the hose comes in

1 - 18 of 18 Posts