Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently picked up a dtc scanner and it says that after eraseing the code that you must perform an obd2 drive cyle to reset computer monitors to a done status, but it does not expalin what the heck a drive cycle is.

any answers would be greatly appreciated.

· Retired Old Fart!
10,495 Posts
Start the truck. Drive it somewhere reaching a minimum speed. That is usually about 45mph. Enough to go thru all the gears. That's about it. IMHO

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, now why couldn'y they have just explained that in the instructions.
i should have known "drive cycle" pretty self explanitory

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what would happen if i don't perform the right drive cycle. i found gm and ford drive cycles online no dodge though and one generic that i guess i will do. hope it's right i don't want to F up the engine computers and monitors

· Retired Old Fart!
10,495 Posts
I don't think it will be an issue with the dodge. they seem to learn over a long period of time. I notice my mpg and trans shifting is better after going a long time since my upload.

· Registered
318 Posts
Hi
An OBD2 drive cycle is a series of tests that the vehicle runs. It resides in the area of the software of the ECM known as CARB (California Air Review Board) Readiness monitors. The monitors are like , EGR monitor , 02 monitor &
Catalyst monitor, Gasoline engines have evaporative monitors. In Emission testing States like Ca & others, they scan the computer to see if all the monitors have run.
This prevents people from merely clearling a Check Engine light and then going for a test , because many codes take a few start occurences to reset a light. Under normal circumstances it takes the average driver a day or 2 to run all the monitors be run and "ready" for testing. In rare cases the owner doesn't drive the right combinations of time & speed and it could take weeks to run the monitors. such as grandpa only drives 1 mile at 10 mph a day to get his lotto tickets. This can impact you if a dealer is checking your computer for reseting and clearing codes prior to going for for warranty work.
Charlie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.