Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2005 3500 Dually 4x4 8 foot bed Patriot Blue AT 48re Torson LSD 3.73 gears
1,016 Posts
I too would like a camera at the back of our RV. Just to verify what wifey is trying to communicate with me with all the waving arms!

Lately the range of the wireless camera's and TPMS systems have improved so that a wireless camera at the rear of an RV can now be reliable.
This is and was not always the case with wireless systems on a RV trailer.
You had to run a cable from the rear RV camera all the way up to the hitch and then to the cab of the truck.
Exactly, that is what I had read. Then the problem of a proper extension cord.
So do the wireless cams use an IP address, like they do for door bell cams?
Maybe not, then the truck would have to have wifi.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT QCSB
196 Posts
up high gives you a good view. I have been looking at these rear view mirror cams too. They replace or clip over the existing mirror and give a greater view. The night vision can be stunningly good on them, in color. 1080p or even higher HD picture on the entire mirror.

When tied into the reverse light, they show dotted reversing lane lines.

They have forward facing and rear camera and can record video saving it to a small card. So they are a road camera constantly taking video.

If you watch dash cam video on youtube, that is what some people are using.
I like those digital rear viewers too. I have a utility topper on my truck now so the rear view mirror is useless. I would like to get a camera to hook up to one of those, higher up on my topper for a better view, and then my stereo has android auto and front and backup camera feeds that I can run through that for a nice low / bumper view for watching out for the little kids (ahem, actually more like utility poles) or hooking up the travel trailer. If anyone has a recommendation for a nice rear view replacement that stays on all the time and don't need a mirror on it since it won't see through the topper, I'm all ears. Most of the ones I have seen have a video screen, and then the rest is mirror.

·
Registered
2005 3500 Dually 4x4 8 foot bed Patriot Blue AT 48re Torson LSD 3.73 gears
1,016 Posts
I like those digital rear viewers too. I have a utility topper on my truck now so the rear view mirror is useless. I would like to get a camera to hook up to one of those, higher up on my topper for a better view, and then my stereo has android auto and front and backup camera feeds that I can run through that for a nice low / bumper view for watching out for the little kids (ahem, actually more like utility poles) or hooking up the travel trailer. If anyone has a recommendation for a nice rear view replacement that stays on all the time and don't need a mirror on it since it won't see through the topper, I'm all ears. Most of the ones I have seen have a video screen, and then the rest is mirror.
Last year spent a lot of time looking at those on Amazon. The better ones display the digital image across the entire face of the mirror and also give you a wider view than the simple glass rear view mirror. I could tell the designs were steadily improving as to resolution and features, so they are in a high state of flux. The better ones will do HD video on both rear and forward facing camera. And you can get better than 1080P. They were still selling a lot of older tech stuff mixed in and I am still interested but never jumped on any yet. Older tech wont have as nice resolution and night vision wont be as good.

Some have more features, like alarms that detect people breaking in and start recording video unattended, .

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Last year spent a lot of time looking at those on Amazon. The better ones display the digital image across the entire face of the mirror and also give you a wider view than the simple glass rear view mirror. I could tell the designs were steadily improving as to resolution and features, so they are in a high state of flux. The better ones will do HD video on both rear and forward facing camera. And you can get better than 1080P. They were still selling a lot of older tech stuff mixed in and I am still interested but never jumped on any yet. Older tech wont have as nice resolution and night vision wont be as good.

Some have more features, like alarms that detect people breaking in and start recording video unattended, .
I have backup and F&R cameras in my TDI and the Cummins from the same mfg. It has the parking mode which is nice. You can set the "bump" sensitivity so that it turns on and starts recording basically by brushing up against the car, or not sensitive, like you have to rock the vehicle to get it to start recording. I think it's called parking mode, it sits there on standby (you have to have constant power when in this mode) until it detects that type of movement, wakes up, records a 3 minute burst, then back to standby. Super handy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I too would like a camera at the back of our RV. Just to verify what wifey is trying to communicate with me with all the waving arms!

Lately the range of the wireless camera's and TPMS systems have improved so that a wireless camera at the rear of an RV can now be reliable.
This is and was not always the case with wireless systems on a RV trailer.
You had to run a cable from the rear RV camera all the way up to the hitch and then to the cab of the truck.
I purchased a Furrion Vision S. Mostly because my 5th wheel was already wired for it. Just had to plug and play. But they have kits for all trailers. They designed a rear view camera that would replace one of your amber makers at the top. It wires into your existing lights for 12v power. When you turn on your head lights it activates the camera. IR vision is a plus.

No long wiring needed. It runs of its on source..wifi I think. It came with a window mount screen which I only have up when towing. I think I'm about 40 feet from the camera to the screen with no interference when driving. Heck, I've had it connect to my trailer as I was returning to the camp site about 300 feet away. Awesome!

The viewing angle also helps me clear cars in my blind spot when passing them. Knowing my trailer will not clip them is great.

It also picks up sound. So I can hear the wife through the window monitor.

It's a pricy little unit but does everything I needed.

There are plenty of options for your needs. Up to 3-4 cameras available for a complete view around your trailer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
PROS:
-Paid for.
-Common rail engine with no emissions
-Handles like a racecar compared to any other 4x4 dually
-Hand shaker (the one piece I never have to work on 🙂)
-Sound, especially with the NV5600
-turning radius tighter than any other 3/4 or 1 ton
-A/C, don't know what's wrong with yall's, but mine will freeze me out the damn truck. I'm talking LO with the temp dialed up a bit when it's 95* outside.
-AAM 11.25 is virtually indestructible, take it from someone who's grenaded D80s behind gas motors.
-Has almost as much giddyup with 10k behind it as it does empty.
-Brightest factory headlights I've ever had, by a long shot.
-Lots of warning for worn front end parts, you won't be able to hold it between the lines long before you break anything. Anyone who owned an IFS chevy or half ton IFS dodge appreciates this.

CONS:
‐ELECTRICAL GREMLINS FROM HELL
-13.5MPG.
-Cant get out of its own way. My '96 7.3 runs circles around this mammoth. (But the 7.3 falls on its face with 8k behind it.)
-Worst ride ever on a coil sprung front end. I think leaf sprung super poopys ride twice as good, and that's with billsteins!
-New front end parts develop play soon as you leave the driveway.
-Dollar tree pilot and throwout bearings that have to be replaced 4 times per clutch
-Interor is worse than 88-91 GM's
-Front seats are the WORST
-Chrysler proprietary software makes it extremely difficult to flash your own ECM or get into anything past the global OBDII system
-Rockers rust from the inside out and being 3 layers are extremely expensive/laborious to replace
-early 03 means a random hodgepodge of 2nd and 3rd gen parts throughout the truck. Big PITA at Napa
-Rear end cannot handle any sort of rough road, will go airborne if you run over a twig
-Did I mention the entire front end should've been aborted from the start?
-2 piece driveshaft shouldn't be a problem, but the JC Whitney hanger bearing that I have to replace every 2 oil changes is getting real old. ZERO aftermarket options. (Apparently some trucks came with a Spicer bearing instead of the AAM, but uses a different drop bracket that I cannot find, or find a part number for.)
-Tops of both front doors are bent out just from breaking in with an airbag. Never had this happen to any vehicle I've had to break into. CHEAP ASS STEEL.
-TIPM works 100% 6 days of the week.
-Chain driven T-case that might as well have the chain be routine maintenance
-Live front end (root cause of T-case woes)
-Electronic PWM fan clutch that takes 42 seconds to engage.....long after the high side pressure switch tripped out the A/C compressor. Reminds me of 4L60E/4T60E torque convertor lockup
-Only louder cab I've experienced was in a 7.3 PSD cargo van, and an International S-line.

I've owned this truck for 4 years now, and it has been the least reliable truck I've ever owned. Every time I come home after 3 weeks at work, I spend my first 3 days working on BS just so I can make it back to work in a week.

• Haha
Reactions: cumminsturbofreak

·
Registered
300 Posts
At 15 years of age, Alabama sets the property value of my and all others at $500.

For a micro second I was offended. Then a big smile came over my face.

$30 for a tag and property tax!

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
At 15 years of again, Alabama sets the property value of my and all others at $500.

For a micro second I was offended. Then a big smile came over my face.

$30 for a tag and property tax!
VA resident here is jealous! Actual market resale value of my truck is $8-9k, but state of Virginia taxes me on $14k, AFTER I had it appraised because the state valued it at $21k before 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
300 Posts
VA resident here is jealous! Actual market resale value of my truck is $8-9k, but state of Virginia taxes me on $14k, AFTER I had it appraised because the state valued it at $21k before 🤦‍♂️
I grew up in VA. Property taxes, vehicle inspections and hyper vigilant State Troops. And I love the beauty of the state. We race in VA 2xs a year...

AL has no truck scales, no vehicle inspection and if you drive the speed limit you are a safety hazard. And you guessed it, rock bottom property taxes.

Funny part of this, I showed my wife that AL values all cars/trucks 15 years old at $500. She said, "gee, only two more years left for my car!"

She's a keeper!

Reactions: beachdiesel

·
Registered
36 Posts
I grew up in VA. Property taxes, vehicle inspections and hyper vigilant State Troops. And I love the beauty of the state. We race in VA 2xs a year...

AL has no truck scales, no vehicle inspection and if you drive the speed limit you are a safety hazard. And you guessed it, rock bottom property taxes.

Funny part of this, I showed my wife that AL values all cars/trucks 15 years old at $500. She said, "gee, only two more years left for my car!"

She's a keeper!
LOL that's awesome! I love the state as well, despite it's turning blue. Got sand out the front door, farm country 20 minutes away, and only a 3 hour drive to the mountains. And Hampton Roads specifically has a food culture I have not found anywhere else. But living in the city with 9 vehicles ain't no fun 😂

Side note: whoever edited my original post to remove a censored 4 letter word is a real ****HEAD. censor that ya democrat

·
Registered
2 Posts
PROS:
-Paid for.
-Common rail engine with no emissions
-Handles like a racecar compared to any other 4x4 dually
-Hand shaker (the one piece I never have to work on 🙂)
-Sound, especially with the NV5600
-turning radius tighter than any other 3/4 or 1 ton
-A/C, don't know what's wrong with yall's, but mine will freeze me out the damn truck. I'm talking LO with the temp dialed up a bit when it's 95* outside.
-AAM 11.25 is virtually indestructible, take it from someone who's grenaded D80s behind gas motors.
-Has almost as much giddyup with 10k behind it as it does empty.
-Brightest factory headlights I've ever had, by a long shot.
-Lots of warning for worn front end parts, you won't be able to hold it between the lines long before you break anything. Anyone who owned an IFS chevy or half ton IFS dodge appreciates this.

CONS:
‐ELECTRICAL GREMLINS FROM HELL
-13.5MPG.
-Cant get out of its own way. My '96 7.3 runs circles around this mammoth. (But the 7.3 falls on its face with 8k behind it.)
-Worst ride ever on a coil sprung front end. I think leaf sprung super poopys ride twice as good, and that's with billsteins!
-New front end parts develop play soon as you leave the driveway.
-Dollar tree pilot and throwout bearings that have to be replaced 4 times per clutch
-Interor is worse than 88-91 GM's
-Front seats are the WORST
-Chrysler proprietary software makes it extremely difficult to flash your own ECM or get into anything past the global OBDII system
-Rockers rust from the inside out and being 3 layers are extremely expensive/laborious to replace
-early 03 means a random hodgepodge of 2nd and 3rd gen parts throughout the truck. Big PITA at Napa
-Rear end cannot handle any sort of rough road, will go airborne if you run over a twig
-Did I mention the entire front end should've been aborted from the start?
-2 piece driveshaft shouldn't be a problem, but the JC Whitney hanger bearing that I have to replace every 2 oil changes is getting real old. ZERO aftermarket options. (Apparently some trucks came with a Spicer bearing instead of the AAM, but uses a different drop bracket that I cannot find, or find a part number for.)
-Tops of both front doors are bent out just from breaking in with an airbag. Never had this happen to any vehicle I've had to break into. CHEAP ASS STEEL.
-TIPM works 100% 6 days of the week.
-Chain driven T-case that might as well have the chain be routine maintenance
-Live front end (root cause of T-case woes)
-Electronic PWM fan clutch that takes 42 seconds to engage.....long after the high side pressure switch tripped out the A/C compressor. Reminds me of 4L60E/4T60E torque convertor lockup
-Only louder cab I've experienced was in a 7.3 PSD cargo van, and an International S-line.

I've owned this truck for 4 years now, and it has been the least reliable truck I've ever owned. Every time I come home after 3 weeks at work, I spend my first 3 days working on BS just so I can make it back to work in a week.
Wow, you nailed it!

I love a lot about this truck, but I work on it all the damn time, too! I thought after I built the transmission I would be good to go. Nope. Always something.

·
Premium Member
2006 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 5.9 Turbo Diesel - Original owner
1 Posts
  • excellent heavy duty powertrain, Cummins, NV5600 trans, suspension, chassis, huge brakes.
  • easy to work on engine, trans, suspension,
  • excellent 2wd front suspension as mentioned. Dbl A-arms, rack and pinion steering.
  • excellent interior design. Excellent 1st gen SRT-10 Ram front seats!
  • tons of aftermarket support, both hardware and ECM support.
  • grill attached to hood, goes up with the hood.
  • clean smooth tail gate when debadged.

Dislikes:
  • poor interior build quality.
  • poor front seats.
  • cheap black plastic door handles. No options were available in 3rd Gens.
  • poor HVAC build quality, lack of HVAC cabin filter.
  • 6" 3" inch short box. Wish it was 6' 6" or a bit longer.
  • wrap around doors with thin sheet metal at front door hinge attachment points. Dodge fixed this in the 4th Gens.
  • weak 2004.5-07 5.9 pistons.
  • 4 speed auto trans. Not enough gears to tow heavy with.
  • those 07-09 rear tail lights. Good grief! Easy aftermarket fix though.
What he said - my 2006 Mega Cab 2 cents:
Heavy Frame​
Dislikes:
Outside of the Cummins and frame, the Dodge built products have failed repeatedly in the 15 years I have owned it.​

41 - 53 of 53 Posts