Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

what years had 4" exhaust?

903 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  spurrinit
New to cummins and tryin to learn. I have been reading up on exhaust, and I see a lot of people saying that their trucks came stock with 4", and to just remove the cat and muffler, or put in a higher flowing muffler. Mine has 3.5". Theres an all dodge salvage close to my house. What years had 4", and will it work on my truck? If I could get it cheap, would it be worth buying and then modifying? I am not getting radical with this truck. Looking for good mileage and a little moor power. I plan on 4" exhaust, gauges, and a programmer (smarty).

Thanks
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
8,859 Posts
04.5 and up came with stock 4" pipe

· Registered
640 Posts
Yep mine is an 05 and came with 4 inch :thumbsup:

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool, thanks. I guess it would be a strait swap? Is it worth doing if its cheap enough? Or would you just get an aftermarket? Thanks

· Registered
275 Posts
no it wouldent be a strait swap, i think the downpipes are different, i know from my 04 to my 05 the flange that bolts the the turbo was small on the 04 downpipe

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that the only difference? I could probably cut the flange off of the old exhaust and weld to the 4". Is the turbo in the same exact spot? Thanks

· Registered
1,543 Posts
I bought the 4" elbow and clamp from an 04.5-07 truck and bought a turbo back AFE exhaust for an 04.5-07 Cummins. Bolted up with no problems.

Size comparo

· Registered
92 Posts
Just buy a FBD complete exhaust. I just got my 5'' kit today and put it on already. Man it is AWESOME. Dont waste your money on a factory exhaust.

· Registered
21 Posts
Just got a 4" mbrp turbo back online for $352.00 brand new. I'd go that route before salvage. Good Luck!

· Registered
53 Posts
if you can find a 04.5 and newer truck at the salvage yard then get the down pipe and the cast elbow and you will be set.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.