Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a freind looking for a truck, and didn't know about the 53 block til I said something.

What years had the 53 block? What was the main malfunction with this block? And what is the easiest way to determine if a truck has this block?

Thanks guys!!!:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I'll pass on the info.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi,

Hmmm, it seems to me that from what I have read, it makes it more like to crack the block the hotter you get it, so performance mods, really heavey loads make it more likely to crack a 53 block. What do you guys think on this theory of mine?

I am actually wondering if it would make sense to put a heat sheild under the turbo to keep the raging heat fromt eh turboe from heeating the outer part of the block so hot?

THanks

God bless...

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
For one the 53 block dosen't really crack all that often. And from what I've read its just the luck of the draw really. Some guys have 53 blocks tow with everyday and are getting power out of them and they haven't cracked yet and alot of them have over 250,000 miles on them, and some guys don't tow with no mods and the block cracks. Its unpredictable on whether the your block is going to crack or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts