Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Ford used hi pinion 60's in 78 and 79, then again from about 86 and up. There was a short time in the early 80's when even the F350 only got a D50 TTB axle.

I wouldn't go out of my way for a "Super 60" since there isn't much "super"about it, Still has ball joints and unit bearings.

·
Registered
932 Posts
the 7.3 is an international engine, not ford.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
My son-in-law has a 2001 P/S with 355,000, he has replaced the high pressure oil pump once and some of the minor parts of the fuel system,(sorry don't know much about fords.....a quite frankly don't want to) :hehe:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ford used hi pinion 60's in 78 and 79, then again from about 86 and up. There was a short time in the early 80's when even the F350 only got a D50 TTB axle.
I wouldn't go out of my way for a "Super 60" since there isn't much "super"about it, Still has ball joints and unit bearings.
Always heard those were junk. I know a older man that grew up working in his families auto repair shop. He said business really picked up when Ford came out with those.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
The non turbo 7.3's for simplicity or early 90's turbocharged for a bit more power from what I've been told.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have nothing bad to say about powerstrokes, the idi's tho are sh1t!!! Everyone of them that I have seen takes starting fluid and a cummins to start! LOL! But my brother has a 97 powerstroke that is just plain fast! Haha it's funny cause it's faster than my truck but he still wants to put a cummins in it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
857 Posts
One of my buddys used to have a 93 idi. Straight piped sounded real good. He definitely had his fair share of problems with it. I was a cool truck but honestly doesnt even compare to a 1st gen. My dad has a 99 7.3 with 220k on the clock. Its a dually 2wd with a service bed. This thing has been to hell and back, until we got it it was driven to the floor everywhere. Its been more reliable than our Cummins trucks! Other than the power i cant complain one bit about that truck. Its never broke down motor or tranny wise once! It does max out at 80mph tho lol. I still love CUMMINS though!! My buddies dad just bought a 6.0 and a few days after he got it headgaskets blew. he just dropped a couple grand in head gaskets and studs lol. Those 6.0's are CRAP

·
Registered
73 Posts
The 7.3 is the best Engine Ford ever Built.

Both the 6.9 and 7.3 are derived from the International 410 gasoline engine. I successfully blew up 4 well-maintained examples in my IH stepvans over the course of my first 20 years at RPS / FedEx Ground. The durability was improved slightly when the 7.3 incorporated larger diameter head bolts to counter the bolt stretch and resulting head gasket failure common to the 6.9 engines. That said, I still blew up two 7.3's. The oil cooler design is poor, and the glow plug setup failed so often that I usually had to resort to ether for cold starts.

They're "okay", but the main reason they'll never be equal in power or durability to a Cummins is that they were not a clean-sheet diesel design. As someone who owned several, I've always viewed them as under-engineered V-8 gas conversions.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts