Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a neighbors 92 3/4 ton 4x4 and liked the way it was made. I have never been around Ford trucks growing up but have heard there were some good years that were comparable to our first gens. If I run across a good one I want to know what years. Thought maybe you guys would know and I don't know where else to ask. Thanks.

Reactions: 1992 Renegade

·
Registered
927 Posts
After owning a couple of Ford products, they will not get me a third time. I just cannot advise anyone to buy Ford. For me, it was always FORD backwards...Driver Returns On Foot.

That said, I do have friends that have had very reliable Fords. GM and Dodge were always the best runners for me.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Since 1st gens actually date back to 72 or so, the most comparable Fords would be 73-79 Fseries. But they never had a diesel. 80-97 F series are a newer deign and did get diesels (6.9 n/a idi at first, eventually becoming the Powerstrokes by 95 or so) Having owned a bunch over the years, fords build quality really did improve and I wouldn't turn down a 92-97 truck. Especially a later F350 (straight axle front end) even with ball joints.

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,816 Posts
the most dependable motors is the 7.3 from about 02 down and the 6.9.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Yeah yoiu can't get enough power out of the 6.9 to break anything. Is ok, they do their job and will lug way down.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since 1st gens actually date back to 72 or so, the most comparable Fords would be 73-79 Fseries. But they never had a diesel. 80-97 F series are a newer deign and did get diesels (6.9 n/a idi at first, eventually becoming the Powerstrokes by 95 or so) Having owned a bunch over the years, fords build quality really did improve and I wouldn't turn down a 92-97 truck. Especially a later F350 (straight axle front end) even with ball joints.
92-97 that's what someone else mention to me also. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,376 Posts
The 7.3 with turbo is a good engine. The 7.3 without a turbo is gutless. Around 2000 is the best year but I am not sure exactly where.

2,648 Posts
The 7.3 is the best Engine Ford ever Built.
LOL, isn't the current 6.7L Powerstroke diesel the ONLY light truck diesel engine that Ford has ever built?!!

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
Comparable in regards to the truck? About '87-'97.

In regards to stock power? The IDI engines (6.9 and non-turbo 7.3, I believe the turbo 7.3 bumped it up 5-10hp and like 50 torque). The IDIs are rated more horsepower but less torque; I think the 6.9 was in the 170/310 range, the 7.3 was like 180 or 185/338, turbo 7.3 was about 190/388. The 1st gen was 160/400.

IDIs are also mechanical injection, like the 1st gen. But mod both and the VE is the absolute king compared to an IDI.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Comparable in regards to the truck? About '87-'97.

In regards to stock power? The IDI engines (6.9 and non-turbo 7.3, I believe the turbo 7.3 bumped it up 5-10hp and like 50 torque). The IDIs are rated more horsepower but less torque; I think the 6.9 was in the 170/310 range, the 7.3 was like 180 or 185/338, turbo 7.3 was about 190/388. The 1st gen was 160/400.

IDIs are also mechanical injection, like the 1st gen. But mod both and the VE is the absolute king compared to an IDI.
I should have specified. Just the general ruggedness and simplicity is what I like.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would say anything in the late '80's through 95 or so really was the pentacle for rugged and easy to work on. The early 80's stuff had wiring that fell apart.

Ford really did a good job with the wiring vs. the other guys. Everything is plug / play and the connectors are durable. A lot of the Dodge wiring is really small gauge and the insulation does deteriorate. The Ford frame and drivetrains are pretty tough. The overdrive autos suck as do the diesels. The interior isn't as comfortable, nor the ride as smooth as the others.

Now, drop a Cummins in with a ZF5 or NV4500 and a decent seat makes for a very reliable truck.

·
Registered
857 Posts
A buddy of mine had a 92 7.3 non turbo idi. It was a good truck, straight piped and sounded pretty dang good. But when it comes to power and reliability first gen wins hands down!!!

·
Registered
7,211 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
My personal fav is 89 F350 CrewCab w/ihi diesel, lol. Anything over 91and you get into ball joint D60's which is no bueno IMO... unless it's a Super60. the ultimate would be a 78/79 CrewCab SnoFighter edition. To my knowledge these are the only D60F's that ever came from the factory with a traction control device installed:thumbsup:

2,648 Posts
Since Dodge never changed much from 1972 to 1993 (what we call the 1st Gen) it's hard to compare to the numerous different Ford and GM generations in that same time frame.

My Dad had numerous Ford trucks and only Ford trucks and that's what I grew up on. He would never consider anything else.
I barely remember even seeing many Dodge trucks growing up.

If the Ford 6.0 diesel wasn't such a piece of junk back in 2004, I would likely be in a Ford truck.

Fortunately, purchasing a 2004 Dodge Cummins back in 2004 was one of my best vehicle purchases ever!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
My 95 xlt F350 didn't have half the squeaks and rattles that my Laramie dodge has, and the fit and finish was better. Wish I still had that truck, but with a cummins. Also pretty sure the 97 7.3 was rated 225hp.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My personal fav is 89 F350 CrewCab w/ihi diesel, lol. Anything over 91and you get into ball joint D60's which is no bueno IMO... unless it's a Super60. the ultimate would be a 78/79 CrewCab SnoFighter edition. To my knowledge these are the only D60F's that ever came from the factory with a traction control device installed:thumbsup:
Was there a particular year that used the super 60? Also, seems like I've heard, on this forum I think, that some of those Fords used high pinion 60's? Would've been nice if ours trucks had those.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Was there a particular year that used the super 60? Also, seems like I've heard, on this forum I think, that some of those Fords used high pinion 60's? Would've been nice if ours trucks had those.
Newer 4wd F450+ super duties 04? and up(sources say 05 but I don't think that's accurate cuz I was just driving an 04 with one on Monday.). It's a metric 8lug bolt pattern but is mistakable as a 10lug because of the larger diameter spread.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts