Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Just to put in my 2c since everybody else is, paint job is last thing to do when you haven't got anything better to do with your $, especially on an old truck. Rattle-can the rusty spots for now if it's through the primer. If you are doing the auto->manual swap anyway I'd strongly consider a G56 over an NV4500 if you tow. NV5600 swap is a little easier, I understand, but as has been mentioned, availability seems to be an issue. If you don't tow, it's probably not worth the extra $ -- I am absolutely happy w/my 5 speed (4 speed... 1st isn't a usable gear, empty, with 4.10s) just toolin' around, the 3-4 gap isn't noticeable at all. Frustrating as heck sometimes towing though. Will probably do the swap myself at some point.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
OK, my 2 cents. I do not tow, so this is based on that premise. I had the NV4500 in my 96 and liked it. I did not mind the gap between 3rd and 4th. My engine was far from stock and the power and torque available to me made the gear changes easy. In my present 04.5, I have the NV5600. I do not like it. Since I do not tow, I find the gear "spacing" to be too close. Each gear represents about a 500 rpm difference. As a result I am shifting all the time. Our engines do not have a huge rpm range, and I find the constant shifting a pain. First is granny, so it is never used. Second is also low, the truck barely gets moving before I need to get into 3rd. If I am on level or downhill ground, I often start off in 3rd, now making the transmission a 4 speed. The truck will comfortably cruise @25 in 4th gear and I have no problem accelerating. Other times I wind it up a bit more and just skip a gear, going from 3rd to 5th or 4th to 6th. I have 3.73 gears with 285/75/17 tires, yet I still find that the noise and rpm level @ 70+ to be loud. I installed a Gear Vendor and that has made all the difference in the world. I have had manual transmissions all my life, yet this one is one of my least liked. I drove a friends '03 with a automatic and found that to be a far better arrangement. I thought I would never say something like that, ever. Sometimes I think about making a swap to a auto, never thought I would say that either!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I dont blame you. I always think about switching to an auto. I love my NV4500 only 50% of the time. Most times I wish I just had a built 47

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Built 47 all the way.

·
Registered
19,310 Posts
If you are not worried about a few dirt specks sand it down and do a $500 Miracle Enamel paint job and buy your trani.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Baja,
You summed up my thoughts exactly. I have the same set up and tires as you except for the 4.10. I rarely go over 70 because of the noise etc. Would love to do the gear vendors just havent wanted to spend the money. Now that I have recently purchased an 08 with auto I will use it more on the longer trips with higher speeds and be able to compare the auto vs man more.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I wonder how much HP you can push through the Gear Vendors?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Trans. swap or paint

My two cents worth is have them both. Look into the raptor bed liner for your truck. It is pretty cheap and can look great if you do a good job prep the truck. I had my entire truck painted for $1500.00 which wasn't terrible but it has started to peel in a couple of places. I am currently on vacation, but I return home I plan to raptor line my entire truck. Just a thought.

·
Registered
736 Posts
My 2 cents. Tranny first g56. I have a built 47re in 99 and a nv4500 in 98. Hate the auto for towing. It's ok for cruising around, but it seems to like to hit od too early when getting on the freeway, and doesn't drop down a gear until your rpms are too low. I get about 2 mpg better with the 5sp. The nv isn't perfect, but decent.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
With 4.10s and no towing I'd go 5 speed or something with a better OD gear, maybe a ZF trans?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Thank you all who replied. I think an nv4500 with some of what Gear Vendors are selling would be pretty sick. Unfortunately, Gear Vendors is selling their stuff for like 3200- big ones. That will be the price of my whole tranny installed.

My truck runs great right now and I know that I can get a few more years out of the tranny I have. Just thinking about it as I have always loved driving a stick and I think the truck would be better off with a stick than an auto.

I need to get a set of pedals first and then start looking for some other stuff.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have a mild build on my trucks and like shifting the gears myself. But if you get the horsepower bug and go much above 600 hp/1200 ft lbs of torque, an auto will hold up to it better. Even the g56 has a limit to how much torque it can withstand.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If all is good think i would just hid the money in the repair fund and drive it. and when you have tranny issues replace it with the nv4500

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Totally agree! I just finished doing so much work. New vacuum pump, 60 lb springs, 3GSK, timing bump to 16, new power steering pump and steering shaft, new turbo and fixed an intercooler leak. I also put a new alternator on and whole new interior. All this stuff adds up, but I think I am finally in a really good place to enjoy driving the truck.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts