Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
17,245 Posts
Look for a later g56 with the lower over drive ratio. @GAmes, did u notice a difference in mpg going from 4500 to the early g56?
Yes, but it was an increase in RPM at 60mph that improved my mileage. I have a 3.5 rear ratio and stock size tires, 215/85R16s. Mine is the AD version, you are looking for an AE version if you don't tow a lot.

Reactions: 98whitelightnin

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What is the difference between the AD and AE versions? Driveability wise will the G56 be better than the 4500?

·
Registered
17,245 Posts
What is the difference between the AD and AE versions? Driveability wise will the G56 be better than the 4500?
Different gear ratios. Drivability is totally opinion.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
4.10s wont be great with any of the sticks shift. Unless you have big tires or never get on the highway. Imo the late g56 with 3.73s is perfect for towing and the 3.42s are great for just unloaded driving around. Both with 285/70 tires.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
285s are around 32 I believe. I dont think I'd go with a stick and 4.10s if your are towing. With the 285s and the late g56 I was limited to about 75mph. If I remember correctly 75mph was around 2500rpm. 80 was 2650ish. It would do it all day long no issue but your drinking a fair bit of fuel. With 4.10s you would be a fair bit higher in the rpms. So unless you want 37s lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Depends on how you drive the truck. I have an 03 with 6 speed man and 4.10 gears. Love driving it pulling heavy trailers. Havent had much experience pulling heavy with my new to me 08 6 speed auto 3.73 but it sure is nice driving it down the interstate and not be running 23-2400 rpms. I repainted my sons 02 two tone 2 years ago and saved a few hundred dollars by not repainting the bottom two tone color. Paid for a one tone and it looked fine. The bottom grey collor was in good shape and you couldn't even tell it wasn't painted.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Life is too short to be bitter move along lol

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Sooo funny one with under twenty posts telling a 16,000 plus post member to "move along." On a more serious note, my 05 Duramax/Allison is a great daily driver but a turd for hauling. Tranny shifts hard and gets too hot pulling a load. Has been this way since new. My Cummins/68RFE puts it to shame.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Redfox,

Have you driven a nv4500 tranny? How does it compare with the G56?

Let me know,

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I'm just glad he knows everything and we can just sit back and learn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hwork 50,
Yes my 96 had the 4500 and to be honest it was so long ago I dont remember. I do recall that I liked the 03 g56 better and it pulled better, but not all of that was because of the transmission. The only issue i ever had with the 4500 was the overdrive nut and loosing 5th gear. Had to go in and fix it twice. The last time we spot welded it on and never had any more problem.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sooo funny one with under twenty posts telling a 16,000 plus post member to "move along."
Maybe the guy with a lower post count is older and has more life experience?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Arguing with someone's opinion not based on fact is pointless everyone gets one bad apple in every product. Who's to say 16000 posts aren't half sentance quirky remarks. I don't see arguing pointlessly, hence the move along. No offense intended just don't like wasting my time.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hemi guy, GAmes is right about the Allison being over rated and about the 4500 vs G56 or 5600. Dont come on here and start bashing a senior member on your 15th post and 4th month being a member. Also, your name is Hemi... this is the Cummins forum WTF dude??

·
Registered
17,245 Posts
I do recall that I liked the 03 g56 better ...
You traded the transmission it came with for a G56? The G56 was ontroduced in '05

Transmissions:
Throughout the 2005 model year the New Venture NV5600,
six-speed manual was replaced by a Mercedes Benz designed G56 six-speed manual transmission. The reason
for the change: New Venture Gear was a joint venture
company between DaimlerChrysler and GM. In December of 2002 the partnership was disolved and New Venture was/is wholly owned by GM.
The ratios of the NV5600 versus the G56 are shown below:
1 2 3 4 5 6 R
G56 6.29 3.48 2.10 1.38 1.0 .79 5.74
NV5600 5.63 3.38 2.04 1.39 1.0 .73 5.63

Reactions: dd453ford

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Im not the biggest fan of my g56 but im used to driving a 7 speed at work.

I definately wouldnt take any nv transmission over a g56.

I like the zf6 but its wayyy more work to get it installed .

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
That is always a possibility. But not in this case. As I've said before the allison behind the duramax shares only the name with the rest. Allison is not the end all be all in the truck world. For the cost of the swap a guy could more than bullet proof a 48 or in this case swap in a g56

21 - 40 of 55 Posts