Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A freshly painted truck for 2000- or an NV4500 installed in your truck?

I desperately need a paint job but would consider forgoing the paint job for an NV4500 instead of my automatic.

What do you think?

I have a 1998 SLT 4x4 long bed white with silver on the bottom.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is the body bad? Or only in need of paint? Is the trans shot or only a want.
If the body is bad definately fix it before trans unless trans is gonna leave you stranded.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I'd skip the 4500 and go for a 6 speed. It's more money and more work, but having had several 4500's and driven a couple of 6 speeds, to me, it's a no brainer. the gap between 3-4 is a pain when hauling even if you spice things up (gov springs, fuel plate)....
that said, I'm "assuming" you are keeping the truck long term

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The body is totally straight, no rust and I just put a new valve body in the trans. Just trying to figure out what to do next. The engine and interior are near perfect.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was very curious about the 6 speed vs the 4500. I do have the 98 which has the cross member to support for both the NV4500 and the 5600.

What else would be a reason to put the 6 speed in the truck instead of the 4500?

·
Registered
17,213 Posts
That's why highway tractors have them? Don't see any nv4500s in a Kenworth or a Peterbilt.
A perfect example of the BS hype that GM owners bought in 2001. Don't forget, the MI Abrams has an Allison too.

·
Registered
17,213 Posts
I am either doing NV4500 or the 5600 or a paint job.
Then do the NV4500 or paint. The NV5600 swap is expensive (more than $2000) if you can find one, hard to find parts for and isn't much stronger. For the same money as a NV5600 you can do a G56. Personally I'd do the manual transmission swap.

·
Registered
17,213 Posts

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
If your trans is holding strong, do the paint now and g56 later. If the trans is weak, then g56 now and paint later.

The allison in the pickups are no where near as strong as what is in the OTR trucks or the tank. Kinda like how your truck and OTR trucks can both have a Cummins but the Cummins in big trucks are totally different than the pickup version.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My paint is flaking on the hood and does not look that bad unless you get up close. The trans is holding strong so maybe I just wait and do a G56 later and get the painting done now.

What are the differences between G56 and NV4500?

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
G56 is a 6 speed trans. Found in trucks 05 and up. I think late 05 some 05s are nv56 some are g56. Either way it's a pretty good trans for general purpose and better at towing than the 45. Parts are easier to come by than for the nv56.

·
On call 24/7
12,391 Posts
Look for a later g56 with the lower over drive ratio. @GAmes, did u notice a difference in mpg going from 4500 to the early g56?

·
Registered
17,213 Posts
Kinda like how your truck and OTR trucks can both have a Cummins but the Cummins in big trucks are totally different than the pickup version.
Zactly

What are the differences between G56 and NV4500?
The NV4500 was not designed for commercial use but is fine for most day to day users. It is a light duty transmission installed in a light duty truck. The G56 was designed as a medium duty truck transmission and is used extensively in commercial trucks in South America..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do not tow and just drive the truck daily and maybe some off-road trips and thats about it. My truck does have 4.10 gearing, as I am not sure how that plays into things either.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts