Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, just got an 06 MC on monday and it came with a K&N CIA. Been kicking around two ideas. One idea is to replace the whole setup with a stock air box and tubing, and the other idea is to just replace the filter with a dry filter or different brand that may be better. Just like the title says, "What would you do?" Just looking for opinions and ideas.

Thanks,
Halfmoon

· Registered
1,069 Posts
What exactly is on there? Is it one that has the heatshield and a cone filter? Or is it just a plastic tube with a cone filter sticking out in the open?

Either way I'd prbly just replace the filter with a dry filter and build a heat shield if one isnt already there.

No need to replace the whole thing because what ever you get is probably gunna be similar from the turbo to the airfilter. Most of them only really vary with the filter and heatshield

· Registered
2,297 Posts
^^^ What he said. I'd go with a dry filter.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is the one with the heatshield and cone filter. What brand of dry filter would you go with? Also, I believe the tubing is 4" in diameter. Hopefully I'll get more replies, but at the same time I'll continue my search on the internet.

Thanks,

Halfmoon

· Registered
416 Posts
Amsoil has some pretty good dry cone filters, and should have a direct replacement for your K&N.

· Registered
12,277 Posts
Get a stock airbox and tubing from here,do the psm or Home Depot downtube mod. Install an AFE or Airaid dropin from Genos. Quiet,efficient and good for 450 hp. If you like the engine to whistle in your ear,this one's not for you though.

· Registered
296 Posts
Get a stock airbox and tubing from here,do the psm or Home Depot downtube mod. Install an AFE or Airaid dropin from Genos. Quiet,efficient and good for 450 hp. If you like the engine to whistle in your ear,this one's not for you though.
I agree on the stock type air box. I would see if I could get a stock 6.7 air box and tubing. They will fit a 5.9 perfectly and come with a larger filter. Add a PSM kit and your good to go.

· Registered
5,872 Posts
If you are not opposed to an oiled filter then I'd just leave it alone. Lots of guys here don't like K&N but there are many that run them with no issues.

· Registered
12,277 Posts
I agree on the stock type air box. I would see if I could get a stock 6.7 air box and tubing. They will fit a 5.9 perfectly and come with a larger filter. Add a PSM kit and your good to go.
Dodge offers a severe duty air filter now,thats deep like the 6.7's and fits the 5.9 box. Part# 53034249AA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.