Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys just throwing it out there.

I just installed the latest version of overdrive on my MM and I must say that its well worth the $300!! Shifts are much cleaner and but not to harsh....just enough. The raised 5th and 6th shift points are great for driving around town. For once its nice to push the skinny pedal and not feel like the trans is being torn apart!

These are just a few things I noticed after downloading:
1. in 4th gear EB on, slowing down the TC unlocks at 1300-1400RPM. With my 373 gears and 35" tires it seems the TC locks unlocks a lot while driving 34-39MPH. Any way to keep the TC locked a little longer? before overdrive it held TC locked until 1,100RPM. >>>>Noticed that in 5th gear slowing down the TC stays locked to 1,100RPM.

2. In 5th gear EB on, slowing down. When TC unlocks....continuing to roll, feels like the trans is hunting for a gear engine rpms surge then stays in 5th with TC unlocked.....slowing down further trans downshifts to 4th with TC locked then split second later TC unlocks and rpms surge then stays in 4th with TC unlocked. Any way to help the hunting when the TC unlocks and downshifts?

3. Once in 6th you can slow down...way down rpms about 1k and still wont down shift under light throttle. Any way to make it down shift from 6th TC locked to 5th with TC locked when rpms are lower then 1,100rpm?

4. I would really like to see the 5th and 6th shift points raised even more! They are a great improvment over stock but again with 35" tires and 373 gears I would like just maybe about 200rpm increase then it is now during light throttle driving.

I just thought that maybe a little more feedback would be a good thing. I know h&s has a ton of time in the TCM tuning and I am glad to have it! It is a very good product and for the average joe like me it is a great improvement over stock!

Let me know what you think about overdrive/my thoughts/your thoughts!!!
Thanks!

(BTW I would be happy to beta test any software changes in a daily, light towing setting)

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
1) The harshness of the shifts at low throttle acceleration.
2) The brutality of the 6th gear shift at near zero throttle. It happens you are cruising at 1,700 rpm in 5th and you have to start slowing down. It will shift into 6th and kick so hard that I think my driveshaft should be laying on the road.
3) The speed at which the transmission finds the 6-5 downshift while the EB is on. It's SLOW.
4) I wish H&S would make the shift points and lock up points user controlled. They told me they were going to, but never have.
5) An option to install or not install it when the BM downloads a new tune.

The H&S is better than a dead transmission, but it's lack of refinement at part throttle has been driving me nuts during my daily stop-and-go traffic commute. However, I still have shudder in the 120 and 175 Mild tunes, so I am forced to drive on Mild. I could do that with the stock transmission tune with a line pressure booster. At least then it would shift nice at part throttle.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Is it just me but when I downloaded the MM without the Overdrive option the trans shifted horrible? It's like they intentionally did that so you would have to by the overdrive option.

·
Braaap, Braaap, BOOM!!!
6,142 Posts
Is it just me but when I downloaded the MM without the Overdrive option the trans shifted horrible? It's like they intentionally did that so you would have to by the overdrive option.
All the 6.7s shift like crap with any big programmer. The added power screws up the shift points because it's shifts sooner because the engine doesn't have to work as hard. Mine did the sane thing with the Edge and Bully Dog.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Ok guys just throwing it out there.

These are just a few things I noticed after downloading:
1. in 4th gear EB on, slowing down the TC unlocks at 1300-1400RPM. With my 373 gears and 35" tires it seems the TC locks unlocks a lot while driving 34-39MPH. Any way to keep the TC locked a little longer? before overdrive it held TC locked until 1,100RPM. >>>>Noticed that in 5th gear slowing down the TC stays locked to 1,100RPM.

2. In 5th gear EB on, slowing down. When TC unlocks....continuing to roll, feels like the trans is hunting for a gear engine rpms surge then stays in 5th with TC unlocked.....slowing down further trans downshifts to 4th with TC locked then split second later TC unlocks and rpms surge then stays in 4th with TC unlocked. Any way to help the hunting when the TC unlocks and downshifts?

3. Once in 6th you can slow down...way down rpms about 1k and still wont down shift under light throttle. Any way to make it down shift from 6th TC locked to 5th with TC locked when rpms are lower then 1,100rpm?
I agree with all of this and it's starting to piss me off!! We were promised more user controlled features but never got them. Also there is a huge rpm drop when 4th gear locks up and if you're just cruising along it lugs the engine. I'd like to see that adjusted somehow too..maybe hold 4th a bit longer before lockup? H&S makes great stuff but it feels like they are starting to forget about us 6.7 guys that got them started. Don't see too many posts from them in here anymore.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure where I read it but Casey has said before that they are likey to never give the user (us) control over the TCM because there are just to many variables in tuning.

Im sure they havnt forgot about us....but it seems like they havnt been on the forum as often.

Im sure they will have many updates and custom tunes for us before to long. I can tell there is a lot of potential just needs a little more time/work thats all!

·
Registered
51 Posts
1, I would like to see it downshift a little sooner while in the high gears, it can still can lug down around 1k, but no near as bad as stock.

2, Agreed on the "brutality" of the 5th to 6th shift with near zero throttle.

3, I am not sure that i think the 5th and 6th up shifts should be raised anymore. 2200 RPM is pretty high already, and when my truck it semi cold it hangs in 4th forever at 2k to 2100 rpm, and there is nothing you can do to make it up shift like you could by feathering the throttle while stock.

Reactions: screagle2

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1, I would like to see it downshift a little sooner while in the high gears, it can still can lug down around 1k, but no near as bad as stock.

2, Agreed on the "brutality" of the 5th to 6th shift with near zero throttle.

3, I am not sure that i think the 5th and 6th up shifts should be raised anymore. 2200 RPM is pretty high already, and when my truck it semi cold it hangs in 4th forever at 2k to 2100 rpm, and there is nothing you can do to make it up shift like you could by feathering the throttle while stock.
Mine shifts into 5th at 1,700-1,800RPM.....I just thought that 2k would be about perfect. Are you running the latest version?

Guess I havnt driven enough to notice the zero throttle 5th-6th shift. So far under light light throttle it feels great....Guess I need to go for another drive!

·
Registered
267 Posts
All the 6.7s shift like crap with any big programmer. The added power screws up the shift points because it's shifts sooner because the engine doesn't have to work as hard. Mine did the sane thing with the Edge and Bully Dog.
first off: not intending to hijack! :thumbsup::S:

im getting my MM soon, does this only happen when running the power tunes, or even on stock?

next question, should i get overdrive with it? im debating between overdrive, or saving for a co-pilot, or saving for a while longer and getting a built 68...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Also there is a huge rpm drop when 4th gear locks up and if you're just cruising along it lugs the engine. I'd like to see that adjusted somehow too..maybe hold 4th a bit longer before lockup? .
The big rpm drop when 4th locks i think is related to TC slip.

Not sure if you can tune that out.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
We are still here guys, and not going anywhere. We have not forgotten about the 6.7L Dodge in any way, shape or form. We have been in a constant battle with the 2010-2011 trucks, but seem to have finally nailed it down. We took the time to give you guys TPMS disable, and that was not easy. We didn't charge for it, and spent a LOT of our time on it. The 2010 manual guys wanted high idle, so we took the time to find a way to do that as well. All of these things take time, and although I would love to be on here more often, it is hard to find the time to just browse the forums. Not complaining for a second that we are too busy for our loyal customers, just trying to point out that these things take time. We have at least 3-4 groundbreaking, never before seen ideas for the 6.7L, but we have to pace ourselves so that we can still take care of you guys with customer support on a day-to-day level.

A few points:

1. The 5th and 6th gear shifting has been drastically softened, so if you have not updated in a while please do so. This should fix your issues, but if not please let me know. I have not had any complaints of hard shifts on the last two updates. Any other driveability issues please update then let us know. As for the shift points, we went with the majority of our users preference as the base point, but see #2.

2. We have NOT dropped the user-controlled shift point idea, it is still in the works. It has proven to be MUCH harder to integrate that originally thought, so it will take a lot more programming time to get it done. This as well as a few more user-set parameters are not too far in the distance.

We are looking at making 2011 even better than 2010, and I promise you will see some fun new things to make your H&S product better. We will continue to push the limits and strive to be at the top of the game, but sometimes we can't get there as fast as we'd like. Thanks for all of your patience and support guys, and I will try to keep you all updated a little more frequently.

-Casey

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the info casey.
I didnt start this thread to nit-pick the problems but to give feedback.

I've emailed you at least a dozen times after purchasing my MM and have had an email right back in less then a few hours!

Cant wait to see what you have in the works for 2011!

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
I'm going to wait until purchasing the Overdrive. Thanks y'all for helping with an educated decision. I've been having a hard time swallowing $300 in this economy on transmission tuning.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just installed the trans tune today and i Really enjoying it.
It changes a lot on the transmission
I like it lots
I had a hard time getting it to download but I talked to Rob and Bob and they were a great help and they walk me through it step by step. They even had a engineer check my SD files. Great customer service guys
THANKS
H&S PERFORMANCE FOR THE GREAT PRODUCT

·
THE OX
821 Posts
We are still here guys, and not going anywhere. We have not forgotten about the 6.7L Dodge in any way, shape or form. We have been in a constant battle with the 2010-2011 trucks, but seem to have finally nailed it down. We took the time to give you guys TPMS disable, and that was not easy. We didn't charge for it, and spent a LOT of our time on it. The 2010 manual guys wanted high idle, so we took the time to find a way to do that as well. All of these things take time, and although I would love to be on here more often, it is hard to find the time to just browse the forums. Not complaining for a second that we are too busy for our loyal customers, just trying to point out that these things take time. We have at least 3-4 groundbreaking, never before seen ideas for the 6.7L, but we have to pace ourselves so that we can still take care of you guys with customer support on a day-to-day level.

A few points:

1. The 5th and 6th gear shifting has been drastically softened, so if you have not updated in a while please do so. This should fix your issues, but if not please let me know. I have not had any complaints of hard shifts on the last two updates. Any other driveability issues please update then let us know. As for the shift points, we went with the majority of our users preference as the base point, but see #2.

2. We have NOT dropped the user-controlled shift point idea, it is still in the works. It has proven to be MUCH harder to integrate that originally thought, so it will take a lot more programming time to get it done. This as well as a few more user-set parameters are not too far in the distance.

We are looking at making 2011 even better than 2010, and I promise you will see some fun new things to make your H&S product better. We will continue to push the limits and strive to be at the top of the game, but sometimes we can't get there as fast as we'd like. Thanks for all of your patience and support guys, and I will try to keep you all updated a little more frequently.

-Casey

I don't know if this will help but the 5-6 issues seems to happen alot at 0-5% throttle like when you let off at a corner and it is right at the shift point. It hits hard almost like the line pressure may be to high for that shift. I love it still and wouldn't trade it for the world just sometimes will scare you. I am running MiniMaxx 6.7.23 which is (OD 68.3 I think). I looked and saw you have a 6.7.24 but under the log it shows its for a couple C&C things, and I assume that even loading it it would still be OD 68.3? Thanks I can try to get video of it sometime if that would help.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
thanks for the info casey.
I didnt start this thread to nit-pick the problems but to give feedback.

I've emailed you at least a dozen times after purchasing my MM and have had an email right back in less then a few hours!

Cant wait to see what you have in the works for 2011!
I appreciate, hope you didn't feel I was picking on you. The feedback is excellent and helps us develop better products. It sometimes just seems like we just can't do enough, although we sure do try!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I don't know if this will help but the 5-6 issues seems to happen alot at 0-5% throttle like when you let off at a corner and it is right at the shift point. It hits hard almost like the line pressure may be to high for that shift. I love it still and wouldn't trade it for the world just sometimes will scare you. I am running MiniMaxx 6.7.23 which is (OD 68.3 I think). I looked and saw you have a 6.7.24 but under the log it shows its for a couple C&C things, and I assume that even loading it it would still be OD 68.3? Thanks I can try to get video of it sometime if that would help.
6.8.4 Overdrive fixes the exact 5-6 issue you are seeing. Update and I am certain you will be pleased with the change. Let me know!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
The 07.5-09 MM updates only show the 68.3 OD software as being the latest.

·
THE OX
821 Posts
The 07.5-09 MM updates only show the 68.3 OD software as being the latest.
Just want to get this cleared up for any others having issues. Might want to change the log because it is confusing since you say version 4 but log still shows version 3. Thanks for the update will try loading new download, will be a few days with this ice storm going through right now! Got to love Indiana weather where it can have 70 degree fluctuations in the fall and spring. We are expected to see ay where from 1' to 2.5' of pure ice in Cloverdale. Sorry for all the trouble but just want to make it where you don't get any question H&S.

Straight off of the website log reads 6.7.24 C&C stalling addressed, C&C P2509 adjusted, (OD 68.3).

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I appreciate, hope you didn't feel I was picking on you. The feedback is excellent and helps us develop better products. It sometimes just seems like we just can't do enough, although we sure do try!
ya I know what u mean. U can never make everyone happy. But I think the your on the right track. Like everyone stated before overdrive is MUCH better then factory and with as often as you guys update tunes I'm sure all the little bugs will be worked out in no time.

On another note I went for a drive yesterday and no matter what I did I couldn't get the harsh 5-6 shift. It always felt normal to me. I must have let off the throttle a dozen times trying to feel it but never did.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts