Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Get a 4x4, the cost and trouble is not worth it. There are a million threads on this.

Reactions: randomb0b123

·
Registered
376 Posts
Probably don't see many because they didn't sell many. Was told once that if you needed 4 wheel drive to tow the trailer either the weather was to bad or the road conditions that bad that you shouldn't be towing a big trailer.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
:flag1:I need help I have a 1992 Cab -n- 1/2 2wd 5 speed 175000 miles I would like to make it a 4WD. Which direction should I head . Thanks
If I was going for basically stock/mild 4x4, I would find a W250/350 donor truck and start swapping. All the parts in one shot, plus extras you can keep for spares, or sell off.

Also, there's Jungle's HD spring hangers over at RCC:
Jungle's HD Dodge componets - Dodge Ram, Ramcharger, Cummins, Jeep, Durango, Power Wagon, Trailduster, all Mopar Truck & SUV Owners. Dodgeram

Of course, you can take it much further if you want. NV4500 or 6 speed from a newer Dodge.... a '85-91 Ford D60 (high-pinion kingpin) with coils and radius arms ought to ride nice. :drool2:

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
What you'll need (not exhaustive):
Front Axle/Springs/hangers
Steering hardware (drag link, etc. dunno if you can use your steering box)
Transmission/xfr case
Front drive shaft
Rear drive shaft cut down
*Sourcing this stuff may cost more than a donor vehicle

What you'll need to do:
Lots of work, followed by
Lots more work

But hey, I say go for it because I enjoy building vs. buying.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
What you'll need (not exhaustive):
Front Axle/Springs/hangers
Steering hardware (drag link, etc. dunno if you can use your steering box)
Transmission/xfr case
Front drive shaft
Rear drive shaft cut down
*Sourcing this stuff may cost more than a donor vehicle

What you'll need to do:
Lots of work, followed by
Lots more work

But hey, I say go for it because I enjoy building vs. buying.
This is the route I went on my crewcab. Found a complete donor for a steal! I ended up selling off what I didn't need...which paid for the truck. SO I was left with everything I needed for the 4wd swap for free!!

But it is a big job!! You can check out my build thread in my sig to see what it takes. ;)

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I second Thrashingcow's comments;
You will also need a different engine support crossmember and the front frame crossmember where the front end of the leaf spring anchors. You will need to drill the frame to use the rear spring hangers.
I did this conversion, because of an accident and frame damage to my original '92 4x4, so I essentially had two complete trucks to start with. Concurrent with that project, my brother & I also converted his '86 D-250 gasser to a diesel using many of the 2wd components from my 2wd CTD.
It's do-able, but it is a lot of work.
Jack Dancoe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts