Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me explain. I am/have always been a Ford guy...but the Dodges have always been a close 2nd.

I currently have a 2002 F250 SuperDuty with the 7.3l Powerstroke. I have about 156k on it. Stock.

Long story short, finances are forcing me to sell, and I am going to drop down a few years to an older Truck. Thinking 94-98 Ram2500.

I am wondering what will I notice...and what can I do about it.

Just looking at specs I can tell the Dodge will have less HP/torque. Also i realize that it will be 6-8 years older than my current truck, so there are some creature comfort things I will notice.

I guess I am wondering what else? The 7.3l Powerstrokes go for a long time, but I know these Dodges are known to be real forever machines...one of the reasons that I am looking at them.

Primary usage will be my wifes daily driver (30 miles each way roughly) and her horse hauler.

Is the HP/Torque so noticeable that I will feel slow? Are handling characteristics fairly similar? If money improves are there aftermarket suppliers to the interiors etc? I know that diesel power is all the rage now and I am sure there is plenty of aftermarket stuff that I can do to boost the HP...but I am unsure about them. I like trouble free driving. :)

Just appreciate any input you can offer.

·
Registered
351 Posts
basically there is A LOT of free power under the hood with virtually no serious modifications. I always loved dodges and my first truck was a 97 1500. I'm one of the rare ones that loves the dodge interiors, so for me going from my 96 psd to my jeep then to my 96 cummins, I'm back in love with the interior.
as far as power goes, read the beginners thread and you can tune your afc. also, keep an eye out for the transmissions and front ends when you look at them. If you find a 5 spd, then there isn't a whole lot to worry about them(compared to the autos anyhow). also make sure the KDP(killer dowel pin) has been tabbed or taken care of some how, its very important!, or just do it yourself, cheap easy fix.
basically for me, its the most fun vehicle I've owned and dodge willing, I'll own it for a very long time or one just like it for as long as i could stand to have an old truck.
be warned, you are getting an older truck, so maintenance is going to be a little higher but once those things are taken care of, if done right, you shouldn't have to worry about them again. they're fun trucks to drive and tinker with and hopefully you join the ever growing much more powerful dark side!!!

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
First thing you will notice is the truck will get up and move alot better then the 7.3 you will be happy and won't notice the power difference I would say drive a dodge drag a furd

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well idk how much of a power difference there was from 96 to 02 but that thing had no ambition to move quick, my cummins definitely has the juice over my old psd

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well idk how much of a power difference there was from 96 to 02 but that thing had no ambition to move quick, my cummins definitely has the juice over my old psd
Hmmm, I've also been a PSD driver since '97. Ford diesel 7.3 driver since '91. Before that a GM diesel driver since '86. Been a cummins driver for about a week now, I love it, but....not much power difference as far as I can tell over the PSD. Maybe lower end torque, could be due to diff. in rear end? I say go for the cummins, you won't be dissapointed, take care of the little things, and all will go well. Much depends on how the truck was teated before you owned it. Mine has 260K and it was treated well as far as I can tell. Everything works well and I like it as much (better) as my '04 PSD.
Texred

·
Registered
226 Posts
Having had both of these engines (in the same truck), the Cummins is the best. The biggest things that you will notice is how you shift, and fuel mileage. When you need to shift your Ford, all you have to do with the Dodge is lay into the skinny pedal a little. Bottom end torque is the key. I will tell you from experience that 6 in a row beats a V8 any day!:cbadge:

·
Registered
2014 2500 Tradesman 4x4 LB 68RFE Bonestock
4 Posts
I've driven both the Ford 7.3 Powerstroke and the Cumin 5.9 in the years you're looking at and I can tell you, there's no comparison. I love my Dodge, but the your Ford 7.3 PowerStroke will just plain kicks the 5.9 arse!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I've driven both the Ford 7.3 Powerstroke and the Cumin 5.9 in the years you're looking at and I can tell you, there's no comparison. I love my Dodge, but the your Ford 7.3 PowerStroke will just plain kicks the 5.9 arse!
Until you do a few simple free and very low cost mods, in which case it will then be the other way around. What won't change is that you won't have to keep a cam position sensor in your glovebox, and the cummins still won't have the relatively complicated HEUI system with it's associated high pressure oil system to eventually fail, and it will still get better mileage than the ford, and it will still last longer, and it will still make more bottom end torque, and it will still be generally easier to work on, and it will still start more easily in cold weather with grid heaters than psd's do with glowplugs. If you get an automatic, you'll have to worry about the transmission if you turn it up much. That's about the only downside I can come up with drivetrain wise.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
the biggest thing i noticed when i got my 2000 is how it wondered all over the road and how the dash cracks right b4 your eyes. The second thing i noticed is how i can pass uphill with a 15k gooseneck behind me. Make sure you get a fuel pressure gauge if it doesnt already have one.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I came from an 01 7.3 truck. I miss the hell out of my Ford. I would make some sacrifices some how to keep the Ford. Just look at this forum on a dailey basis. Ever othrr thread is my trans this or that, my fuel mileage sucks, i don't have no power. I to was in your shoes, needed to sell the Ford for better finances. Now I have a truck that is nickel and diming me just to get back up to stock specs. Yeah power is cheap in these trucks, but gauges are a must, and transmission upgrades are a must.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
my dodge is def. nickel & diming me to death and its not just pm and old parts its dumb shi* dodge should have fixed when it was on the drawing boards. Dont get me wrong I love my dodge, but only thing they r good for is making big power not saving money...
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
171 Posts
my dodge is def. nickel & diming me to death and its not just pm and old parts its dumb shi* dodge should have fixed when it was on the drawing boards. Dont get me wrong I love my dodge, but only thing they r good for is making big power not saving money...
just my 2 cents
Exactly ....the years these trucks were still under warranty I bet the stealership service bays stayed full of these trucks.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've owned 14 diesels, one of them a 6.2 Suburban and a 1983 Ford 6.9 with ATS turbo. ALL domestic auto makers are crap when compared to the reliability and durability of Toyota or Honda, but since the Japanese don't make a 3/4 ton diesel truck, we're stuck with F, C, or D.

If the 12 valave Cummins came in a Yugo or Sloda, I'd own one. I love this engine, and if you're really honest, the Dodge is no worse than F or C, and like a previous poster said, the Dodge interior is actually very cool and comfortable to be in.

Trannies, front ends, various fuel and electrical problems... Ford and Chevy have the same problems, if not more.

The 2nd gen 12 valve Dodge is far from perfect, but its easy to work on and will do as much or more than F or C. Besides, when the inevitable problems occur, you've got the best forum right here to help!

·
Registered
536 Posts
dodge ford and chevy trucks all suck!! all have problems some are the same problems just different manufactuer,

but the cummins engine is bad a$$!!!!!

my buddy has an 02 powerjoke, i have my 95 ctd, he got a bunch of stuff dont to his truck, programmers stacked injectors etc, i got mostly free mods, really no money spent except for maintenance stuff,

we both pulled last year at the county fair, he only pulled 4 ft more than me and he gots a ton more done than i do....

·
Registered
209 Posts
I wouldnt own any jap china korea vietnam slant squint truck/car ever. Id rather walk uphill 10 miles bothways on my hands backwards in the snow, than drive one of those $*itboxes. I like my dodge ive never had any problems out of any of them that werent self inflicted from years of abuse. I have 7 dodge trucks love everyone of em.

my mom has an expedition 177k on it all she has ever had to do was wash it and pm it, og engine and og trans.

My girlfriend has an 86 Montecarlo 305 V8 gets 24 mpg with a "quadrajunk" carb 156K on it, og engine and og trans

Guess what im getting at is, I break things. Everyones driving style is different, other people dont break things. Land of the rising sun quality is better....yeah if it isnt they will take you and your family out into tiananmen square and execute you. My 97 is 13 years old if nothing ever wore out then why buy a new one....why have an aftermarket why would there be part suppliers? Alot of us live where they use salt, things rust bind and break. Those happen to be the facts of life....

Ive had all 3 also, 3 ctd's a Dmax and an IDI 7.3. I just happen to prefer my Mopars. I wish my truck had leafs in the front like a Ford, Maybe i wish it had an allison too. But it doesent, and im fine with that.

Yes im from Metro DETROIT and i DONT work for the big 3

Soooo yes you will notice a difference from your ford, its a dodge. I prefer manuals to autos. If you are not setting your pump on kill, i dont know why you would have a problem with a stock transmission. They were built the way they are to handle their rated capacity at their rated horsepower/torque. Im not sure of any light duty truck that will safely handle the weight of a d8 dozer.....someone on here has done it im sure but not for 2,3,400k miles. Bring your horse trailer and your wife and ill let you drive my truck see if you like how it runs/pulls/whatever.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Just look at this forum on a dailey basis. Ever othrr thread is my trans this or that, my fuel mileage sucks, i don't have no power.

Yep, and most of the no power problems have a very simple, sometimes-free solution. Adjust the starwheel, slide the plate forward, etc. Same with the mileage-you put huge tires on there but forgot that you're actually traveling farther than your odometer says, or the pressure in your front tires is 45 psi but you don't understand why it sucks diesel down. About the worst common cause of poor mileage is slipped timing. That seems to cost most folks $200 or less to fix unless they get ripped off.

Stock autos not putting up with much extra power is a definite fact.

So, what do you generally read about on a 7.3 psd forum? (We all know what you read about on a 6 liter psd forum, no need to go there.)

·
Diesel Head
1,556 Posts
You can find a nice 12v for cheap. I paid 4k for mine with a fresh rebuilt trans. Find a 12v put a converter and vb in the trans, 4kgsk, pull the fuel plate bump the timing put a boost elbow on and it will run with the psd if not out run it. All the mods will take you a weekend and wont hurt fuel mileage unless your beating on it. My truck gets 4+mpg better then my buddies f350 2wd.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
stock for stock their is little comparison between the 2... the flowerpoke will definitely take the upper hand as far as power. Only thing i dont like about the late model 7.3s, as good of an engine as they are (yes they are actually decent) is that the fuel economy blows and low end power still doesnt compare.

As far as reliability, and nickle and diming you to death, that is more of a particular truck issue not a generalisation of a specific type/year. The ford could nickle and dime you to death or the dodge could be just as bad.

If your going to start worrying about the guys on here complaining about smokin trannies, go look at a for forum and see how many 'no start' 'bad trans' 'poor fuel economy' threads you come across... They are all equally as bad as far as design flaws and such.

Just make sure that you dont go and buy someone elses cheap piece of junk truck or you will definitely regret getting rid of your truck!

·
Registered
171 Posts
You can find a nice 12v for cheap. I paid 4k for mine with a fresh rebuilt trans. Find a 12v put a converter and vb in the trans, 4kgsk, pull the fuel plate bump the timing put a boost elbow on and it will run with the psd if not out run it. All the mods will take you a weekend and wont hurt fuel mileage unless your beating on it. My truck gets 4+mpg better then my buddies f350 2wd.
Op add up what all the mods cost, thats assumimg that the truck you buy has good fuel pressure and doesnt need a $1000 fuel pump and has been maintained to a top. The timing is good, the Killer Dowel Pin mod has been done, the steering isnt' junk, the trans lines are leaking, and it has a good trans to start with. Also add to the list of mods above exhaust, and gauges for the A pillar. On top of $4k for the truck.
Or you can put a $250 tuner in your F250 from Power Hungary, exhaust, gauges. All in half a days work. And blow the tires off of it. You will have more time doing research on the 12 valve than you will installing the mods I listed.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts