Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a SO VP44 several months ago from a guy who sold it as a core (paid 180.00) I bought it because it was rebuilt only 12 months prior and he said it only had a few miles on it and thought it was worth the gamble.
I put it in last weekend and Holy Cow! The engine runs WAY smother and my overhead mileage meter is going through the roof @ 23 MPG and climbing.
I don't know if I stumbled on something or if it is just a "luck of the draw" senario.

The first thing I noticed is a set of numbers stamped in the casting. The one I pulled out of my truck said "036/0 with the degree symbol I can't find on my keyboard" (I assume it is timing range) The one I put in said"046/-0.26(degree symbol)
I believe it is out of an auto trans truck but I am liking the results and i wonder if it can be reproduced.

Here is some info from the pump

(the tag on the top of pump)

R5019658AD

Rebuild date stamp
M121507

(the tag on the side of the pump)

868 79112 134

929 792 117198

011 Bosch

Reman USA

(the # on the woodruff key)

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,372 Posts
Looks like a reman SO pump to me... Good find I hope it runs for a long time for you.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why the difference in timing range ( I am assuming that's what it is) and what affect could that have on how it is running?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, I forgot to mention I don't have the XZT+ hooked up so I am not running any timing. I can't wait to see what #s I get with the XZT+ hooked up.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Nice Score man!! your lucky day i guess

·
Registered
167 Posts
idk much about vp's but explain this Homemade fuel/vapor seperator to me

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
idk much about vp's but explain this Homemade fuel/vapor seperator to me
I came up with a vapor removal system of my own so I didn't have to buy a FASS or Airdog. Gave me something to do while sitting at home waiting for the phone to start ringing again. ( I do residential construction/remodeling)

It turns out one still has to run a large pump so I only saved about 100.00 over buying the AirDog but I figured others could do the same and would benefit from this design especially if thay already had a Raptor pump or another capable pump and wanted the benefits of vapor separation.

I just started another thread on this topic. Here it is: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/139282-build-fuel-vapor-separator-your-2nd-gen.html

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thats awesome... i think that fass is too loud when compared to an airdog. how bout yours? any other problems

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
Then there is Sam's page over at my site now...
Air Separator

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
24.2 miles per gallon and still climbing!!!!!
I know my overhead is close as I am at 280 miles and the needle is showing 3/4 tank still. That is after I spilled a few quarts hooking up my test lines. i still don't have the XZT+ hooked up.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Sam what was your mpg's before . Sounds like youll make that 180 bucks in fuel savings quick !

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sam what was your mpg's before . Sounds like youll make that 180 bucks in fuel savings quick !

Well, you see, it goes like this. I don't know. Actually the best I've seen was 21 mpg with the XZT+ running in performance mode and new stock injectors. Then I put in the Raptor pump with homemade fuel/vapor separator, took out the XZT+(USB port died), put in RV injectors and was still running about 20+ mpg or so.
I figured my VP44 was getting weak as I had 120K or so on it and it had seen a couple of bouts with low pressure so I swapped it out and WALLA. Holy MPG's Batman!

Runs smoother and has all the power the other one had (at least)

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh yeh, I rebuilt my turbo in there somewhere too! As well as a flash update for the ECM.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One of the things that crossed my mind was that because the VP44 has different timing parameters it is doing some of the "timing" a programmer would do. I don't have a clue how that all works though, just a thought.
Anyone know how this works? Does the VP44 "zero" or is the timing set different with different pumps?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
ho pump has more timing than an so pump. i dont think there are any differences SO to SO or HO to HO. put that timing box on there and you should be good to go. . . .and your overhead and/or fuel guage is a horrible way to judge mileage.

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
Actually timing is from the IAT and MAP sensors...

Lower boost pressures give more timing.

AUTO IGNITION TEMP - Defined...

The autoignition temperature or kindling point of a substance is the lowest temperature at which it will spontaneously ignite in a normal atmosphere without an external source of ignition, such as a flame or spark. This temperature is required to supply the activation energy needed for combustion. The temperature at which a chemical will ignite decreases (Advanced Timing) as the pressure increases (Boost Pressure) or oxygen concentration increases. It is usually applied to a combustible fuel mixture.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
. . .and your overhead and/or fuel guage is a horrible way to judge mileage.
I know that. I just am not going to fill up until I get low on fuel to give a more accurate calculation with the smaller margin of error.
My overhead has always been close and usually low as I have slightly larger diameter (narrow) tires for winter driving 255/85/16. I know it is pretty close as I have 280 miles clocked and only at 3/4 tank.
It always bothers me when others use incomplete info to back their mileage claims so I will post mileage #s when I fill up again. Miles/gallons with correction for odo discrepancy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts