Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 04 2500 4x4 cummins with auto trans and am wanting to get a little more pulling power out of it without killing anything. what are the best mods to do? it already has a nice 4" exhaust system on it other than that it is bone stock. i am looking at the banks cold air box and economind tuner are these good choices there are so many tuners out there i am confused.

·
Registered
117 Posts
In Short, just say no to Banks. Way over priced for what they give you in return.

First, you want to get 2 micron filtration going as quick as possible. Our High Pressure Common Rail Engines do NOT like dirty fuel. Cummins says that 2 micron filtration is ideal, but Dodge put an 8 micron setup on our trucks. How does our engines repay us for not having 2 micron filtration? By killing $350 a piece injectors one by one... I just had to replace all 6, and that hurt a lot.

Depending on what you are wanting to do with the truck, Transmission Upgrade and Guages are next. The trans in our auto trucks is the single handedly biggest flop Dodge built into these trucks. The 48RE is a great trans after a good Torque Converter and Valve Body is added, but a few more smaller items need to be done inside as well.

Next would be an auxilary fuel pump. Something like a FASS, Walbro Setup, Air Dog or whatever. The stock fuel pump, will not keep up very long once you start turning the power up any.

Then after you now have the supporting mods, you can add some performance, in the form of programming. My vote goes to SMARTY. I run it, and it is a smooth power adder. Go ahead and get the full SMARTY, not the Jr. If you dont want to run high horsepower, then run it on the lower settings, but if you decide that you do want more power, instead of buying another programmer later on, just turn the SMARTY on up, and you have what you need.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would say:

1. Good oil/fuel filters
2. intake
3. lift pump
4. Safe electronics (smarty jr, etc...)
5. valve body, torque converter
6. Bigger electronics (smarty sr, etc...)
7. Injectors
8. Head studs
9. Turbo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
were is a good place to buy the filters? i am looking at the triple gauge setup @ dieselmanor.com anybody have experience with them? the truck is my dd and will be used to tow my rock crawler on a flat bed trailer on the weekends. i am not looking for extreme horsepower just a little extra power when the jeep is hooked up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Depends on how much you want to spend.

Glacier Diesel Power has a stand alone 2 micron filter setup that costs about $100, and from then on you can buy filters for around $17 a piece. I have that setup on my truck, and I left the stock filter in for additional purposes, and also for the water seperator.

Other systems out there have the fuel filter and water seperator on them as well as act as aa fuel pump, but you will be looking to spend around $500 for one of them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looking for help also.

So i have an 06 4x4 auto. i bought a bullydog GT b/c i wanted a tuner right away and my local mechanic didnt sell smarty tuners.
I am planning on eventually doing tranny upgrades. But here is my question. I have an mbrp 5 inch exhaust (only mods i have) and want to do the 2nd gen conversion. Basically--what do i do next???? i have no idea what to do next and i want to start upgrading.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a fass pump for sale for $500 new in box sold the truck I bought it for before I got it put on

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 7 of 7 Posts