Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
U joint aft of the transfer case is going out. Was curious what everyones thoughts were on a replacement. Part store variety or dealer special? I'm not very impressed with the factory one since the truck only has 41k on it.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Alot of people are choosing the Neapco brand.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I started to go with the Neapco brand but I'm glad I went with Spicer. I can get the web site from where I bought them if you need it. They rated the Spicers 1st & Neapco 2nd, I know everybody has their own opinion.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I started to go with the Neapco brand but I'm glad I went with Spicer. I can get the web site from where I bought them if you need it. They rated the Spicers 1st & Neapco 2nd, I know everybody has their own opinion.
Spicer are deffinitly the best u joints, I have had great luck with nepco, eaton, presision and napa brand also. If you go with a sealed go with a spicer long life as they are probably the best sealed u joint.

AMA (dealer) u joints are total junk, I had one go out in 5k.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just replaced mine with a Neapco from Advance Auto. Neapco P/N is 3-0486 for the rear drive shaft ($38.49). It's a non-greasable joint, but the seals seem very good. Helluva pop when you pull a cap off, so the seal is very tight. My OE one was toast at 32k running stock tires still. 2 caps were dry, and I could see where the grease was leaking. Hint: Heat the stock yoke until the injected nylon starts to string out and keep heating until it stops. It may shoot out violently, so take caution. I didn't know Spicer made a joint yet for our rear drive shaft?? I know the AAM joint is a few thou narrower than a Spicer 1480 joint. Some people have forced them in, but I wouldn't try that. Outer lockup dimension on the AAM is 4.178" with 1.375" diameter caps. The spicer joint lockup is 4.187" with the same 1.375" caps. Very close, but would be a tight fit. I'm now off to search Spicer land again to see if they make a joint for us out of curiosity...... :kick:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts