Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks old, no info in listing and truck looks pretty dang stock otherwise, anyone recognize it? Is it even a tuner? Had to zoom a lot, sorry for the crappy shot.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

2,646 Posts
That's a Bully Dog Outlook from many years ago.

Similar to Diablosport, Bully Dog products were never that good for 3rd Gen CR Cummins. Not many were sold.

I think the Outlook is just a monitor, follow all the wires and make sure they don't go to any sensors on the engine.
If any wires go to any sensors on the truck, remove the Outlook.
If there are any interceptor type modules on the engine anywhere, remove it.

Your truck may have been programmed by a Bully Dog programmer. I recommend to overwrite that.

Going by your dash, you have a 2006+ truck. There are many excellent programmer options for your truck these days.

Reactions: Whitson

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Outstanding info, thank you!

So, even if its just monitoring things you'd ditch it? Is it that bad?? Haha

2,646 Posts
If you do confirm that it is not an interceptor type power module and if it works, it won't hurt anything.

What's the story on your truck? Year, model? Just bought it? Details?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a recent buy, being delivered, the first real vehicular roll of the dice for me but trucks like this just dont exist around here. 2006 2500, 110k, one owner, no fifth wheel or GN, stock under the hood. Have no plans for hot rodding. Will likely give it another easy life. Only tuning interests are trans longevity and economy, it'll tow anything I own just fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Stock isnt great, if you decide you want better egt control, efi live with auto cal is the way to go, and if you need a good programmer I highly recommend Power driven diesel. You can have a single tune, or you could get a 5 position switch. Would also recommend gauges just to have them. EGT, trans, Fuel pressure, its upto you weather pillar style gauges or a little monitor.

Reactions: Whitson

·
Trying to learn
5,860 Posts
Nothing wrong with stock. 10s of thousands of these live long lives pulling up to 10k.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Have you looked at what kinds of egts are acceptable for stock dodge? My egts can easily peg 1600+ on the stock tune, with a roughly 30hp over stock tune my egts dont go past 1300, there maxed out close to 1250-1260, and normally I've got a 40' goose loaded on me or sometimes a 26'. I think your truck will live much longer at 1250 then they will at 1600.
But what do I know.

·
Trying to learn
5,860 Posts
Are you all stock?
A lot depends on driving style.
2003-early 2004 1250º for hours on end.
2004.5 and up 1450º for hours on end.
Again on a stock truck pulling up to what is recommended.
These are the #s that comes up the most as being acceptable.

I'm sure some remember the guy from here who hotshot his truck to around 700k miles, all stock.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Those were numbers from stock. I added 15% injectors and now it's the same, except I picked up a little over 2mpg while towing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, have the truck in my possession now. I played around with the outlook, the button seems to barely work. I did manage to change the screen values and noticed the right side can be changed from stock, tow, performance and extreme. I cant tell that it does anything cycling through those settings. There are two main cables associated, a gray and a black. The black is plugged into the obd2 port, the gray goes up to the pillar, they both go through the firewall where they sortof join up. A power wire goes to the fuse box and the pyrometer ties into where the gray and black come together. My understanding is that this alone is not a tuner but is capable of working with a tuner module?? I dont see any other boxes or modules anywhere.

2,646 Posts
You mentioned a one owner used truck. Did the previous owner share any info on the Bully Dog Outlook?

If it were my truck, I would remove that and all other aftermarket electronics from it and take it to a dealer for a stock ECM reflash.

A used 2006 truck is going to have much more pressing issues to deal with than that old monitor and perhaps some old unknown aftermarket program in the ECM.

Reactions: tryNto

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No doubt. Ball joints, trans flush, diff fluid, drivers seat bottom...all more pressing. Just trying to make sure theres no questionable programming in the truck and based on how it drives, I dont think there is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts