Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide what tuner and exhaust I should buy...
As of right now by truck is stock other then a k&n air filter.

I've been thinking about a smarty tuner, edge juice with attiude, triple dog.
The exhaust I have been looking into is a MBRP 4 inch with muffler.

Any help or suggestions would be great, I am pretty new to diesels.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Have a look at the stickies at the top of this forum...

What transmission do you have?

·
Registered
949 Posts
What are your plans with the truck? Your going to need a fass/airdog/raptor or mechanical pump, gauges. Exhaust depends on what you want whether its 4 or 5 in, muffler or straight, single, dual or stacks. I like the quadzilla adrenaline because you can build and not exceed the box. It has gauges if you get the pulse.

With your K&N don't over oil it or the turbo will suck the oil and it has ruined a few turbos.

Also read the stickys they should tell you everything you need and then some.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I would get a edge comp, a quad adr or a tst comp for a box and the 4 inch exhaust will work good.

sent from my stupid phone while i should be working

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are your plans with the truck? Your going to need a fass/airdog/raptor or mechanical pump, gauges. Exhaust depends on what you want whether its 4 or 5 in, muffler or straight, single, dual or stacks. I like the quadzilla adrenaline because you can build and not exceed the box. It has gauges if you get the pulse.

With your K&N don't over oil it or the turbo will suck the oil and it has ruined a few turbos.

Also read the stickys they should tell you everything you need and then some.
Plans with the truck are; just add some power for towing my car hauler.
I dont plan on running it on the strip or anything just looking for some quick tow power.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
will there be an increase with the mpg with a smarty?
My mpg seems kinda low for being a stock truck other then k&n, my top meter is telling me im getting about 12.5 in the city. Is this good, is there room for improvement for when I am NOT towing?

·
Registered
949 Posts
don't trust the overhead hand calculate your use. If you add a smarty and don't get on it then you should see a mpg increase. Thats the same with all programmers. I would do a 4in turbo back. And pick a programmer that suits your wants. I like the adrenaline because of its flexibility but that is my opinion. You will want a fuel pressure gauge and probably a fass/airdog or raptor 100.

Is the transmission a 5 spd, 6 spd or an auto?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
don't trust the overhead hand calculate your use. If you add a smarty and don't get on it then you should see a mpg increase. Thats the same with all programmers. I would do a 4in turbo back. And pick a programmer that suits your wants. I like the adrenaline because of its flexibility but that is my opinion. You will want a fuel pressure gauge and probably a fass/airdog or raptor 100.

Is the transmission a 5 spd, 6 spd or an auto?
It's an auto.

·
Registered
949 Posts
If your haul alot i would get a deep transmission pan. My Mag-Hytec allows more fluid than stock and my temps are cooler.

First thing i would do would be get a trans temp gauge, egt gauge and fuel pressure gauge.

Then go 4in turbo back exhaust.

Do a fuel system.

as for programmer edge, smarty, quadzilla, banks, bullydog they all have towing modes.

Also look into the 2wd lo mod it makes moving trailers around alot easier.

I believe you should have a factory tranny cooler if not, get one. Hopefully this helps you out.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Summit has really decent prices for 4 and 5 inch exhausts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Blowing smoke diesel has great prices on exhaust, and are a sponsor, and they give a discount to forum members, my 5 inch was 312 to my door with muffler, straight pipe systems are cheaper there, if you are just looking for towing, an edge ez, or quad xzt i think are plenty for towing and alot cheaper than the smarty, and yes a deep pan like mag hytec, and good fuel pressure will be required. I would read up on the K&N filter, you are probably gonna want to ditch that for a dry filter, that oil under high boost will get on everything, like the inside of the cooler, where you can not clean out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did not oil it, I assumed it was oil less....?
Blowing smoke diesel; do you purchase them through this site or go on their sit and purchase them. That price seems good for a 5 inch.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
You go to their site for purchase, and enter code, its in the advertisement area i think the code is cforum, but check, and yes that price is alot lower than most places, and shipping was fast.
I have never seen an non oiled K&N filter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can't seem to find the blowing smoke diesel website?

Also where is a good place to get trans temp gauge, egt gauge and fuel pressure gauge?

·
Registered
949 Posts
go to the get a quote section on here and post what you want and then sponsors will give you prices and you have a way to get multiple quotes from different companies.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Sorry it was rolling smoke diesel

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I will be buying the 4 inch exhaust from Rollin smoke diesel. Has anyone here bought it? How's the sound, is it overwhelming when towing?

·
Registered
949 Posts
I've got a full 4in straigt pipe and its not to bad depending on how heavy i'm towing. I've also got a pretty decent stereo so when my trucks load i turn up the music. I'm sure a muffler would help but my turbo counts as a muffler so why add another lol. I wouldn't call it overwhelming, Overwhelming is towing with stacks at higher rpms with the back window open lol.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Yes i run 5 inch with muffler, and i want it a tad louder, only can hear it if by a sound wall.
Very tame, their muffler is huge.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts