Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I want to make sure I make the right purchase and I have talked to some local shops and two are definitely not touching my truck. However, one guy has a Cummins, but it's the 6 speed manual and he has also done a friend of mine truck that I pull against during fair season. He was curious about what are some of the kits you guys are running. He wanted to compare valve bodies, torque convertor, flex plate, etc. just to get an idea to see if there are better parts out there than what he has... Any in put would be greatly appreciated... it's this or a Suncoast... but still just shopping around...

·
Registered
273 Posts
I was called recently by Suncoast and they got the full race trans out and there are alot of 550 horse builds out there I guess from Suncoast and ATS maybe some others I dont know.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm putting this back to the top to see if anyone else looks at it and has any info. on kits.... I am aware of Suncoast.. and they are the ones I'm looking at... but just curious... about kits... there is a good tranny place in town... that I've been talking to and will do the tranny for 50% less than Suncoast...

·
Registered
724 Posts
How will they do it for 50% less? Explain because I'm looking at a rebuild soon. I would love the comp68 but not for that price. If they can build and stand behind it I might travel the extra distance for it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guy I'm talking to said he will warranty a transmission if the guy doesn't beat it. If you do drag racing and pulling he will not warranty the work if it is easy to see that the tranny just blew apart because of being beat...

However most of you guys are probably saying I'm an idiot for looking at this guys tranny shop... he said he will work with people on pricing, he will build it exactly how you want it, he also said if something breaks he will be reasonable about things needing fixed since you are coming back to him (half labor cost)

MOST OF ALL... he built the tranny in a truck that I pulled against all last year... and that kid probably did an easy 10-15 pulls with it... if not more and he drives his truck hard... it was impressive to be completely honest...

In addition to the guy who is building the tranny has been doing them for awhile and has a truck of his one that has some other mods done, so it's not like he doesn't understand the cummins power...

He has the knowledge and using good quality parts, but just isn't charging the people for the BRAND NAME...

·
Premium Member
7,035 Posts
The guy I'm talking to said he will warranty a transmission if the guy doesn't beat it. If you do drag racing and pulling he will not warranty the work if it is easy to see that the tranny just blew apart because of being beat...

However most of you guys are probably saying I'm an idiot for looking at this guys tranny shop... he said he will work with people on pricing, he will build it exactly how you want it, he also said if something breaks he will be reasonable about things needing fixed since you are coming back to him (half labor cost)

MOST OF ALL... he built the tranny in a truck that I pulled against all last year... and that kid probably did an easy 10-15 pulls with it... if not more and he drives his truck hard... it was impressive to be completely honest...

In addition to the guy who is building the tranny has been doing them for awhile and has a truck of his one that has some other mods done, so it's not like he doesn't understand the cummins power...

He has the knowledge and using good quality parts, but just isn't charging the people for the BRAND NAME...
Just to clarify, you are talking about a 68rfe that he has built correct?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, 68RFE transmissions also he has done a 6 speed tranny for another guy who pulls locally, and did my friends truck... who has an auto in a 2003 Cummins

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Just make sure you get some good electronics to back it up. The 68 won't hold much of anything without them. I haven't used the big time tcm tune like rjp has but have used the others and I can tell you the co-pilot make them look sick. I'm really happy with my setup after getting it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the MHP tune(Level 2), but I was wondering if any of you other guys are running it and/or another tune for your TCM. That is what you are talking about PCDEBOL right?

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I was talking about the TCM updates in the sick part of my statement. I've Cored two transmissions running them. Sounds like you have killed one. I'm not real impressed and couldn't recommend them to anyone.

RJP has a beast of a truck and the biggest kit from B&G I don't know how well it works. But it has to be better than the overdrive and stage two kits.

The thing I am talking about is the co-pilot its a box ats makes that goes between the transmission and the tcm. It actually works. I cannot make the transmission slip with it in the truck. With the release of it ATS now has a very solid transmission that has been tested up to 650hp. For giant power suncoast is the only choice. The ATS is around 6000 with the co-pilot if you are looking for a kit.

The co-pilot is a proven technology ATS uses it on the allison to get it to hold 1000 hp consistently. Hopefully they can get similar results out of the 68.

I actually think when they finally get everything worked out on the 68 its going to hold more power than the allison is capable of holding. Make a bunch of people who dove in and converted sick to their stomachs if it that turns out to be the case.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I need to do something with mine. I haven't gotten a tcm upgrade yet because of money. When you guys say "slip" what do you mean.... explain what it feels like/sounds like. My 5&6 gear seem to "let go" under heavy use of the skinny pedal, like on the highway and I'm passing a very slow driver and I need to get around them quick. I'm pretty sure the clutches are shot and so does rjp. Other wise, normal around town and cruising on the highway I have no issues. Once I get them fixed how does the co-pilot work in the stock trans? I dont mean is it good or not but how does it make the stock tranny work better? I wish I had the cash for something more built but that will be a while unless I get some one to "donate" one to me :confused013::party018:

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I'm not sure what all it does for a stock transmission. I know they say the way the handle load helps with the sprag. The fact it only hits the clutches hard when you are hitting the skinny pedal hard helps reduce wear and tear on hard parts. Also reduces the chance of a snap ring failure. There is quite a bit it does to help even a stock one hold up better but without an enhanced pump at least it can't override the mechanical relief system so you are limited in the amount of pressure that can be applied.

Its considerably better than the TCM updates and actually gives me hope the 68 is getting close to being a good transmission. The 1000+ dollar TCM update is probably comparable in the way it holds but it isn't going to give you less pressure in daily driving situations to help with life then be able to poor on 100% pressure just because you hit the gas peddle. At least I assume the $1000 tcm update wouldn't do that because its more like a traditional shift kit.

The co pilot is in another league from the TCM update but so is its price.

You might give ATS a call and ask them what all is programmed into it to help with a stock transmission. Chris is very knowledgeable about the co-pilot ask for him. I saw one of the ATS techs saying something to a guy about asking about the discount I don't know anything about it but it couldn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DAFBFD I can tell you what it feels like... and it flat out sucks because you know that it is definitely hurting the transmission... especially 5th and 6th gear... your rpm's will be climbing as you roll into the throttle then all of a sudden you will feel a shutter and it will get worse and worse... then it's like everything lets go... and it will slip into the next gear and the rpm's will drop and it will fall flat on it's face... and lug really bad... I have the TCM tune and it still does that... but when it goes into gear it slams into gear and feels like I ran over something because it hits so hard... which is odd because when you think of something slamming into gear or shifting hard you think it's HOLDING in gear and handling the power... but it really isn't... mines pretty well shot and I plan on getting it rebuilt this spring with income tax money... but the shutter and then the race in rpms and falling flat on it's face and lugging real bad is a sure sign your tranny is slipping... The shutter is from heating up the clutches and glazing them over... I once saw on here guys said to down shift with your button on your column into 4th gear to keep the truck in gear and then when you make the pass and are not under hard acceleration shift it back up through the gears nice and easy... also do that on LONG hills... or when you are trying to accelerate up a hill real good...

Can anyone tell me if this 5th and 6th gear problem will go away with a built transmission??? Thanks

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Yes it will but there is a bit more to it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I run a NADP Race Tranny with a Suncoast TC and I love it I run about 600hp without load and this tranny has been bullet proof the whole time. Also NADP is really nice and easy to deal with. Love the customer service.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
B&G chrysler or their people have written all of the TCM tunes that I know of to date. NADP is suncoast canada more or less. They build transmissions with suncoast parts. So his is either the same as a comp 68 or the same as the ones suncoast pulled due to high failure rates. Not sure how nadp names or markets them.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Last i heard Suncoast still will not let the comp parts out, including NADP. I'm guessing you got the 550hp kit and havn't killed it YET.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Heads up if anyone is running an H&S. I kind of suspected the way they were handling the engine torque output numbers were not only goofy but a possible problem. Just put the latest H&S update on mine and plugged in the autenginuity to see if they had changed it. Its working just like the rest of the tuners now. So you may want to update yours if you haven't. I'd be curious to hear if the shifting and lockup smooths out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts