Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a 12v donor truck for an engine swap. Anything in particular I should look for or be aware of when buying these trucks. I am likely going to tear down the motor and freshen it up before I put it in the new truck anyways.
Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
You really can't go wrong with a (94-98) 12v. I would make sure it runs, check for any major leaks...the obvious stuff. When you're looking, the 96-98 manual motors were a bit higher hp than the auto's, and the earlier autos had a few less hp than the later. But either way with the right tuning you can make them all perform. One thing you will want to do upon getting one is do fix the KDP, if you search KDP you will find a lot about it, but also check the link below. It will go over everything, from beginner mods and things to look for as well as more advanced things to do. I hope this helps. :thumbsup:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-powertrain/287781-beginners-thread-read-first.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am hoping to get a banger truck. Thanks for the tip's, I will definitely start a build thread when I get going on mine.
I found a few crew cab Fords I am going to look at this week, then I just need to find the correct donor truck.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I am hoping to get a banger truck. Thanks for the tip's, I will definitely start a build thread when I get going on mine.
I found a few crew cab Fords I am going to look at this week, then I just need to find the correct donor truck.
:thumbsup:

You could also consider the first gen 12v (89-93). The earlier ones were non-intercooled. So I would look for a later one. If the intake goes from the turbo over the top of the engine, it is non-intercooled. But they were also a very reliable engine and doesn't take much to get more hp out of them.

I always liked the Ford crew cabs. I've been waiting for my dad's 97 to die so we can put a 12v in. Keep us posted on the build. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
900 Posts
I know you're looking for a donor truck and not a DD but you still may find some useful information here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, lots of good info on this site. Looking forward to getting this truck going.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If you haven't seen these, here are a couple of good resources for Ford Cummins swaps; Destroked, Fordcummins.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts