Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, first of all, hello. Ive been lurking around here for about 5 months now. About 5 months ago i was looking at buying a new truck. It was between a used CTD or a new hemi. The main purpose of this truck is a DD that i can tow my jeep with on the weekends. So i ended up getting a 08 1500 hemi. Its a beautiful truck, it is loaded, big wheels, leather remote start ect ect ect. Well, right after i got it i towed my jeep on a 8 hour round trip to haspin acres offroad park. I wasnt happy. it wasnt that it lacked power, it had a ton but you had to have your foot so deap in that no matter what i did i couldnt get more than 8mpg. We are talking a 4000 pound jeep on a 1500 pound trailer. but of course it was to late by then so ive been dealing with it.
well, last week i took my truck in to have some warrenty work done (front shocks). i desided to drive the lot to see what they had and there was a 06 CTD that i fell in love with lol.
it was gold colored, it has 36000 miles, it has some form of aftermarket exhuast (looks like just a cat back), leather, heated power seats ect. Only this it doesnt have that my truck does is a sunroof, remote start, and a rear power slider. it had a sticker on it that said 29999. So i went inside to talk to the sales people. (yes i had to go get them) they said they could give me 19000 for my truck that has 6500 miles. HAHA i knew i was going to take a loss but damn....I paid 33000 for it 4.5 months ago. then they said the best they could do on the CTD was 1000 bucks off. HAHA. I hate car salemen. So end of story, they want me to add over 10 grand to my loan. i think they are screwing me on both trucks.

They way i see it the 06 has high mileage (for a 06) It had a dent in the rear bumper, needed a bedliner, needs tires (some idiot put d rated BFG all terrians on it). my truck needs a bedliner (dents and scratches there) and has a small 1 cm long scrape in the rear bumper. Plus it is 2 years newer and has 30000 less miles. So....I have desided that i wont do it unless i can get within 3 grand...As in my truck and no more than 3 grand for that one. (and i plan to get a bed liner and tires in the deal lol)
Do you guys think that is to much to ask? What would be a good price to pay for the CTD? I know no one wants a big gas truck right now because of fuel prices but desiel is the same way. Plus it is kinda hard to find in my neck of the wood. there is only like 2 stations in town that have it.

Also, I think it is stock other than the cat back. But that worries me. I dont want a truck that has had a huge chip on it and stuff with no tranny work. I looked on the fuse box (and every other flat surface) so see if i could see where there was any vecrow or anythign where someone had mounted a chip or something. But what else should i look at? Im not even 100% sure the exhuast wasnt stock with a big tip welded on. Does anyone have a picture of a stock exhuast (under the truck)? it looked like about 4 inch pipe after the muffer to at least a 6 inch tip. but i couldnt see any brand names on the muffler or anything.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any help or advice.

(ill see if i can find the pics from the dealer site real quick. there was a couple good pics of it and a good one of the exhuast...)

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
well the exhaust will be 4" factory anyhow, should have a cat to if its factory. thats all i did was a muffler delete and welded on a 6" tip. id go and talk to them and see if they can do better, lowball the hell out of them im sure they only gave 20k on it for a trade anyhow.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
There's nothing wrong with D rated BFG's. You have to look at the pound rating. Not the letter rating. My E rated tires are rated at 3150lbs, and my D rated BFG AT's are 3150lbs. It's all in the way the tire's built. That D rated tire will be plenty heavy for what you're hauling. No worries. MANY people on here run D rated tires cause we can't get E rated in the size we want. Or want to pay!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the exhaust will be 4" factory anyhow, should have a cat to if its factory. thats all i did was a muffler delete and welded on a 6" tip. id go and talk to them and see if they can do better, lowball the hell out of them im sure they only gave 20k on it for a trade anyhow.
I made the salesman mad....he is like "we have it listed for 29999, we have 28999 into it so i can drop it down to that" I laughed at him :rof

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's nothing wrong with D rated BFG's. You have to look at the pound rating. Not the letter rating. My E rated tires are rated at 3150lbs, and my D rated BFG's are 3150lbs. It's all in the way the tire's built. That D rated tire will be plenty heavy for what you're hauling. No worries. MANY people on here run D rated tires cause we can't get E rated in the size we want. Or want to pay!
well, these are about 40-50% tread and i kinda firugre that they were wearing fast because they were the worng load rating. I have a buddy with a 96 and he said his truck will eat up d rated tires like nothing. I guess discount tire wont even install d rated tires on a 3/4 ton or bigger truck...

They are also a good bit bigger than stock....I they they said 315s....Which is close to a 35 isnt it? Maybe you cant get e rated ones that size? I deff would want the same size tires. I like the way the bigger/wider tires look on them

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
just dont give in, tell them you want more for you truck. also have the diesel tech check to see if there was a programmer on it, theres many ways they can look and tell. it looks like a nice truck i wish mine had leather. also dont be afraid to crawl under it and look at stuff.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Toyo's are about the only E rated 315 you can get. Like I said, You have to look at the lbs they are rated at. Those 315 BFG AT's you have are rated at 3150lbs. The same as most stock tires that are E rated.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If you bought the hemi there, and they won't work to the half way point, tell them what you think about it, Then ask to talk to the sales manager i'm willing to bet he'll look at the weeks sales and try to work somthing out, also try timing , sometimes if they sit long enough, or at end of sales expectation period they'll have a diffrent B.S. line to throw you...:thumbsup

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
yeah man your a returning customer, make them aware of that. you have choices and you chose to come back..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just dont give in, tell them you want more for you truck. also have the diesel tech check to see if there was a programmer on it, theres many ways they can look and tell. it looks like a nice truck i wish mine had leather. also dont be afraid to crawl under it and look at stuff.

lol, i did crawl under it. (and take pictures) I took a ton of pics of it. There were like 3 poeple just watching me wondering what i was doing. Problem is my computer died and now i dont have a computer fast enough to upload them to photobucket.

the tip is deff not stock is it? and the muffler is still there. I think it would look better with a leveling kit and some stacks but i guess i have to own it first lol

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
haha no the tips not stock, in fact was the tail pipe black? if so its most likely stock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah man your a returning customer, make them aware of that. you have choices and you chose to come back..
I didnt buy my truck from them. I drove 50 miles and got it from vicksburg dodge. Erick henkle (aka battle creek dealer, i live in Battle creek) wouldnt make a good enough deal. they wanted to sell me a bare bones 4.7l with added leather for te same price i bought my truck for. Accualy, i would really like to buy this truck though vicksburg too. I liked them and i feel they will make me the best deal they can. Also, im sure they want to keep us happy because we have a lease comeing up on another vehicle that im sure they want us to renew. So accualy, im a 3 time returning customer for them. but the battle creek dealer has this truck. I dont even know if dealers will trade used trucks??? Im going to call over to vicksburg this week and see what they can do for me. I REALLY want this truck but there is no way in hell im doubleing my loan to get a 2 year older truck with 3ok more miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
haha no the tips not stock, in fact was the tail pipe black? if so its most likely stock.
it was rust. lol they say the guy that owned it also owns about 10 other new vehicles and has deap pockets. My quess is he used this to drive in the winter. So it is a little rusty under neath. not bad but it looks more like 4-5 years old under there. but this is Michigan and that happend. I think i could still save it was some work and some undercoating.
Oh and te cat was kinda funny shaped, i dont really know how to describe it lol. Like a pointed egg kinda

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
yeah thats what they look like. id guess that its stock exhaust with a nicer tip for looks.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
i think 33000 miles isn't really alot for that 2006 ctd. But i also think that that still to much for that truck. when i bought my truck , since i was a returning customer (3rd truck, same sale man) they gave me a 2006 CTD 2500 4x4 auto w/ 8foot bed quad cab for $35000. and that was back in 2006( brandnew) . with the economy the way it is and the truck sales are at an all time low............i dont see why you would be able to get that truck below $24000...........good lluck buddy.:thumbsup

·
Horseback Recluse
691 Posts
Well hind-sight being what it is, I wish you'd have asked some questions before you dove into the hemi.

IMHO don't get your heart set on one truck as these guys know they've got you over a barrel between these two trucks even with fuel prices what they are they have teh upper hand.

That truck isn't even broke in yet mileage between gasers and diesel is worlds apart. I've got 66,749 on my 06 which I got on 06/02/06.

Like others said have the diesel tech check it out for a programmer/chip. You'll still have 3K on bumper to bumper warranty and 70K on te engine.

Check some other places but your best bet is what you're already doing by selling the hemi outright.

I'd keep an eye on the CTD for a while and see if it hasn't moved in a few weeks and then approach them again.

I think that price is a bit too much as well but what they are offering you is ricidulous but position is everything :thumbsup

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well, i did ask around before i bought the hemi and everyone said that a half ton would be fine and yada yada....Well, it is but it isnt enough. The only other truck i had ever towed with was a 96 powerstroke so i guess i was spoiled. id sell the hemi for 25500 TODAY and not even think about it if someone had cash. Then i figure i should be able to get that truck down to the 26-27 OTD range. Then i can have a little money to throw some tires on it and a bedliner. (and maybe a smarty an intake and some stacks lol) i guess ill just try to sell the hemi for a week or some and see if i get any bites....ill let you all know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts