Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Got P7100?
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i MIGHT be looking for a 1st gen to play with at the drag strip. Probably going to be 2wd because they are cheaper(like farm truck, beater, rusted out cheap).

Auto will probably be faster but id take a 5spd just for fun. Im almost thinking NON intercooled just for the ease of piping and the lack of street time it will see.

What else do i need to look for? i dont know much about 1st gens:confused013:

Also how fast can i plan on running with big injectors, twins, supporting mods and the stock pump(gov spring, ajusted to the max)?

Thanks guys:thumbsup:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well for drag racing you're going to want to get an auto. The getrags don't like to be abused or shifted fast. It won't last long at all. When you say stock pump do you mean the head on the pump, ie not a 14mm head? You're going to need a different governor spring, at least 3200, I'd go with 3800 that way you have the top end speed.
I would look for an 89 to early 91 so you get the non intercooled and a 3 speed 727. Lighter and simpler.
I've seen a number of guys in the mid 13's with full weight street trucks. If you get a 2wd regular cab, a locker, wide slicks, and shed some weight 13's should be easy. If you get one that's rusted out you'll be off to a start lol.

Reactions: mathews8pt

·
Got P7100?
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info

Ive heard the IC heads are better? does it make a whole lot of difference?

And yea i was wanting to stay with the 12mm head and just add a 3600-4000 gov spring. Maybe a new fuel pin, or make one...

I just want to stay as cheap as possible. It doesnt have to be real fast this summer, it will be a slow buildup.

Oh, how much does a reg cab weigh?

·
Registered
35 Posts
my 2wd reg cab weighs 4890 with me in it

Reactions: mathews8pt
1 - 7 of 7 Posts