Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
cummins for life!!!
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok what do i need to know when buying ball joints, ive talked to many people,and many mechanics,they all seem to say something different.I need to replace all 4 and my truck is a 2001 2500 cummins with a 5 inch skyjacker lift and 18 inch helo rims with 35s on her,so what am i looking at and what kind of ball joints should i go with,,and keep in mind that i travel one of the worst gravel highways in north america!!!:confused013:

·
cummins for life!!!
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what about my truck being lifted with 35s,,the stealership sid something bout offset ball joints, but other people say different, whats your oppinoin.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Check out XRF ball joints

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
cummins for life!!!
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thankyou very much, this was most helpful.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I went with Moog's and are happy with them. I couldn't justify the cost of xrf joints (but I'm sure there great).

Word of caution: Make sure you torque them down exactly how the manual says. If not, the truck will not steer correctly.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Ball joint longevity is all based on the size of tires you got on your truck. Like me I've got 235/85 R16's (62 pounds per tire in weight) and finally replaced my factory ball joints at a 180K miles and bought the absolute cheapest ball joints possible just like the ones that Dodge had installed. So far I'm at 198K no issues at all straight as a arrow! :thumbsup:

·
cummins for life!!!
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right on sounds good gents!!!!i think I'm gonna go with xrf ,found some eBay for a good price.

·
cummins for life!!!
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry ,,just to clear this up but,,even though I'm lifted I can run stock ball joints,they don't need to be offset????

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Sorry ,,just to clear this up but,,even though I'm lifted I can run stock ball joints,they don't need to be offset????[/QUOTE

NO they dont need to be offset unless you are running monster tires. You DO need to have the front-end re-aligned. Jacking the front UP messes with the factory geometry in the frontend. You need a realign the front after doing ANY frontend work ...IMHO Also, bigger tires then stock will mess with alignment..and put more stress on the balljoints, tierods, spindles...The pickups come from the factory that way for a reason..

Reactions: eforbes

·
cummins for life!!!
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sounds good.:thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts